CARC rear tyre choice

Jdtwoplus

CARC rear tyre choice

Post by Jdtwoplus » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:27 am

There's nothing quite like tyre choice to set off the paranoia....would that back wheel squiggle have been avoided with a different tyre? As a year-round Trikingista it is all about wet weather performance and my tin box four wheeler is shod with Michelin CrossClimates accommodating cold winter temps and road conditions. My type4 CARC backend currently runs a Dunlop SP Sports Fastresponse 185/55R16 showing significant wear! I am considering alternative tyres, though I have been happy with the Dunlop I want the very best wet weather grip, as everything sticks well enough in the dry. Thus far I have only considered symmetrical patterns but apparently an asymmetric fit is fine as the only difference is directing water spray away from pedestrians and of course I dont care about that when the wheel is in the middle, though to be honest it might be useful to direct water spray away from the petrol tank! I wondered if anybody has any thoughts and experience to share?
Attachments
C0BC824E-0D19-442A-A9B5-4BB1AA0EE0FF.jpeg

jtdesign

Re: CARC rear tyre choice

Post by jtdesign » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:46 pm

Well, replying to a tyre thread is almost as dangerous as for an oil thread, but here goes ...
I have fitted a Michelin Primacy 3 tyre to the rear of my T4, also in 185/55R16 size. It is almost symmetric (certainly good enough to pass MSVA) and I would expect it to wear less quickly than your current Dunlop. Don't know if the grip is as good, but it is certainly good enough for me and balances the car well against the Heidenau fronts.
The 16inch rim and CARC will also take a 175/60R16 tyre size which may give you a bit more choice.

Let us know what you choose and how it goes. Best regards, John.

Weg

Post by Weg » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:59 pm

I can't say anything constructive about tyres for the carc models.
But, I am really impressed with that really clean, tidy rear end.
There are others that would claim the top accolade.
You must have a closely fitting innner rear mudguard.
Stay safe.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:16 pm

I'm watching you Tony Pony!

Jdtwoplus

Post by Jdtwoplus » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:16 pm

Thanks John, appreciate your thoughts. I have considered a Primacy, but am leaning towards a Conti UltraConnect to try, as it has A grade wet weather, but I will advise. Meantime Tony, my CARC back is protected by my factory fitted optional extra, see pic, which Alan fitted. It is a cheapo trailer guard with mudflaps front (to protect Hagon) and back. It hangs from two 17mm bolts on a small stainless subframe and works brilliantly. That said I am quite upset that you might consider my car clean so picture shows its normal state ready for potato planting!
Attachments
66E4C8FA-749A-42D7-A892-403E7AF95212.jpeg

Jdtwoplus

Post by Jdtwoplus » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:26 pm

Should add on the mudguard that I have very bad experiences with 'hugger' types mounted on swinging arm, when the CARC was in the original Norge donor. I have had at least four mounting brackets fail, the last and most dramatic went as the bike was accelerating hard up a hill in the Highlands and the hugger went around the wheel and ended up 100 yards back the way I had come. The scrape on the swinging arm is still there and luckily nobody was following. I did well to stay onboard. So the current mudguard arrangement allows suspension travel and fouls nothing. The mudguard plastic is soft and pliable too, so it should protect and break/bend if something bad happens.

frederick

Post by frederick » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:07 am

here in the US for my T4 with the stock norge rim I found this made in Indonesia: 175/55 R17 Achilles (oddly inappropriate name) ATR-K Economist ... $57 plus ship in 2021