driving tips

frederick

driving tips

Post by frederick » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:47 pm

curious if there are any special tricks to driving these vehicles, esp how to enter, apex and exit a corner.

Lots of Morgan 3W videos, interesting track comparison with a Caterham 7 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo5jGM5kSNE

Seems to be very stable thru a corner but the 3W is quite a bit heavier than the T series, even the T4.

Berglind

Re: driving tips

Post by Berglind » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:59 am

Would be interesting to see a comparison between a old m3w, a new and a T3/T4.
Have not driven a trewheeler yet but a few caterhams (father was the swedish importer) and russian sidecar motorcycles.
I find it a bit wierd that Morgan has managed to make the m3w heavier than a light caterham.

Weg

Post by Weg » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:16 am

Fred.
My experience of 'spirited' driving.

Do the breaking before you get to the bend.
Get right down the gears keeping reves high, use the engine for braking.
In bend, progressive power on so you can feel before there is any rear wheel breakaway
Then full power when you are confident you have the grip not to spin it.
Better to stay shiney side up.

Throwley

Post by Throwley » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:45 am

The Triking feels lighter, nimbler and more willing than either old or new (Fivespeed) Morgans. The front suspension is considerably more compliant and much more responsive. My Type 1 has a lot more roll than a Morgan, don’t know about others.

The Fivespeed Morgan is relatively comfortable inside and has a great feeling of power from that engine, enormous fun when you put your foot down! Steering is precise but not like a Triking’s and with less feedback. There’s a lot of understeer, but I imagine that’s been tuned in for safety. Easier to drive fast than my Triking, but not up to Seven standards of cornering and feel.

The earlier Three wheelers are like nothing else! Impossibly heavy steering until you’re going apace, difficult clutch (not that you ever use it) and a high workload until you’re used to the controls (manual throttle and ignition, foot and hand brakes, external gearchange on twospeeds). Whichever engine is fitted (JAP/Matchless/Blackburn or Anzani) there’s just a huge amount of torque available at all speeds. Cornering is interesting and requires commitment, especially as the steering gets increasingly heavy the slower you go, but on the ones I’ve driven cornering feels flat, but less stable. Braking is interesting; there’s ample engine braking thankfully! A definite (and understandable) Vintage Motorcycle feel to ‘em. People who’ve been driving them a long time can make them go uncomfortably quickly.

Especially on the old ‘uns, everything needs to be set up before the corner, like a motorcycle, then driven out smoothly. A proper addictive buzz when you get it right!