Type of inspection

iant-s

Type of inspection

Post by iant-s » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:06 pm

Just to check, my local inspection centre is at Derby. I will have to make an appointment and trailer my Triking there. What inspection will it be given? MSVA, SVA, IVA? Are these the same? MSVA is for motorcycles is it not?

Weg

Re: Type of inspection

Post by Weg » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:29 pm

The Triking comes under the MSVA category, which is less strict than the heavier weight IVA.
Good luck with the test. Don't forget to round all corners or put a guard on, especially over the engine.
You can buy little plastic domes to go on the M8 bolts on the exhaust etc.

iant-s

Post by iant-s » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:36 pm

So its the weight that decides then? I was confused by cyclecar and/or steering wheel. I have a full print-off of the MSVA requirements from the DVLA webpages. All the build quality, number and type of fixings, the rounding of edges are pretty much good sense.
Its the big finned hot spiky thing sticking out the front that's bothering me. Because its a proprietary engine will it naturally comply?
I was proposing to take my car in as basic and uncompleted state as would pass the inspection. For example the seating in bare foam - The seats fixed and the foam glued to the base-boards, but not finished - I can do that later. Am I barking up the wrong tree?
I just want it on the road in any form and finish it once I can drive it and try stuff out you see. Its been a while.....

iant-s

Post by iant-s » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:38 pm

Has anyone put together a definitive guide to the MSVA inspection? There are many excellent and useful accounts on the Forum. Just wondered if there was a reference manual.

colinc

Post by colinc » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:20 pm

All I've done is gone through the MVSA document and highlighted the areas I believed applicable to the Triking. That said mine hasn't been tested yet so if I've missed anything...!

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:00 am

It's best to present the Triking in as simple a form as possible for the MSVA especially with no windscreen, otherwise you'll need demisters. No need to put the wipers on or have it painted either. With regard to seats make sure you check that the seat cushions are not too padded because they measure the height of the top seat belt mount to the seat cushion base - there's a diagram in the MSVA guide that shows the measurement. Obviously lights, indicators, hazards, horn etc must all work. It goes on to a brake tester where they measure brake efficiency and balance across all 3 wheels, and the handbrake effectiveness. The emissions test is based on the age of the engine so you shouldn't have any issues there.

They'll check the overall quality of the build, are brake hoses going to rub, wires chafe etc, are pipes and hoses adequately supported. The higher the standard of the build the easier it will pass.

For my two Triking builds I've borrowed an engine/exhaust guard from Triking which seems to meet the requirements of the test. Triking also have other bits and pieces like plastic nut covers as well as a bracket to raise the height of the seat belt mount if needed.

Both my tests were done in Norwich where they've seen a few Trikings over the years so you might want to consider having the test done there. They won't be any less stringent but they are accustomed to them..

iant-s

Post by iant-s » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:02 pm

Are assembled braided steel brake hoses acceptable, or must they be crimped end fittings - again only regarding the IVA examination. My supplier said to check before we cut pipe to length.

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:06 am

I think most of us have used the braided hose kit that Triking supply as it's made to length and offers reasonable value for money. Interesting question though...

iant-s

Post by iant-s » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:19 pm

Acceptable to use assembled fittings, but must not be aluminium says the IVA guidance document