Speed humps.

Post by Dave » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:30 pm

Seem to be having a problem with grounding the chassis on speed bumps

Weg

Re: Speed humps.

Post by Weg » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:03 pm

Hi Dave
Which model are you driving?
Have you seen which part of chassis is contacting the bumps? Must be some evidence!
Could be the exhaust balance pipe, that is usually a low point.
If the bumps are the cushion type, go to one side so that only one front wheel goes over it.
For full width bumps, take it very slow, don't be embarrassed slowing cars down, cycles do it.
It is possible to raise the ride height with longer suspension units, or adjust existing to stiffer setting. This adjustment will not increase the comfort level :o

Tony

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:19 pm

Seems to be the chassis rails just under the seats.

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:19 pm

Sorry series 3.

Weg

Post by Weg » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:44 pm

Rear shockers too short or set too soft.
Looking at the car from the side, does it look lower at the back?

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:57 pm

Looks about level with the garage floor. I have only had the car for one week and just had a short shakedown drive after moving the pedal box back. Guess it's time to start checking against the spec and pulling it apart. The speed hump problem was so obvious that I was wondering if anybody else had the same problem . I live in teesside and we have some real vicious speed humps even my landrover has to slow down to 5mph. Just trying to avoid the embarrassment of being beached on top of a bump and having to bail out to lift the body clear.

Weg

Post by Weg » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:12 am

Welcome to the Triking world.
I imagine you need to navigate the speed humps to escape to the big wide world.
Probably best long term to adjust the Triking a little to cope.
If a leaf sprung Land Rover has to be cautious (the coil sprung variety might cope) then the bumps must be baddies.

I’ll put a pin in the Triking World Map for you, if that is ok. Not many owners in your area but there was a T4 active in 2018, not sure if still around.
The map is a useful tool, enabling new/potential owners make contact with existing. Trouble is, it’s never up to date.

It will be interesting to know about the history of your T3. I’ve sent you a personal message.
Tony

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:03 pm

I've not had a problem with grounding over speed bumps with my Type 2 or Type 3, it may be that you have shorter length coil overs at the back than standard. You could measure the free length and let us know.

Two possible solutions; make up some short extensions for the top coil over mounts or upgrade to the Hagon gas coil overs as used on the Triking suspension upgrade. They're a bit longer than the original ones and give a much better ride at the back.

Dave

Weg

Post by Weg » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:42 am

Looking back to 2013 on my first build, the rear shockers were Hagon 340 long, which I believe was the standard kit issue from Triking. (Also standard on the Calli). I had the same problem, grounding at the rear.
As mentioned by Peakrock Dave, the ‘comford upgrade’ has 400 long.
My solution to raise the rear with the 340’s is the freshly painted bracket in the picture.
DSC02080a.jpg
(Shockers fitted in picture are Fornales.)

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:20 pm

Many thanks for the fix , will try that first. Dave.