Brake light sensor location???

AndyR

Brake light sensor location???

Post by AndyR » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:04 am

Started to do some work on the Triking and started with all the stuff that doesn't work. God knows how they passed this through an MOT 2 days before I got it with bits loose and lights, indicators, windscreen wipers, neutral light, fuel gauge, ammeter and brake light not working!

Getting through the list slowly but can't find where the sensor is for the brake light - anyone give me some clues as to where this usually is please?

Also the speedo looks to be cable driven from near the clutch housing but is reading circa 8-10 mph too fast. Can this be adjusted? I know it will depend on the gauge, but any clues?

Thanks

Andy R

peakrock

Re: Brake light sensor location???

Post by peakrock » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:25 pm

Hi Andy

The brake light switch is often located on a 4 way union where the brake pipe from the front brake master cylinder splits to go to the front brakes. It's usually located near the right hand side of the steering rack on the chassis. Otherwise it might be actuated by the brake pedal itself, via a pull or push switch depending upon who built it. What type number Triking is it?

If the Speedo is the donor bike Speedo, cable driven with the Bike rear wheel then it should be fairly accurate but if it has the car wheel conversion which has a smaller rolling diameter then it will read too fast. The ETB Speedo which is digitally driven could be fitted but it's quite expensive...

Dave

Weg

Post by Weg » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:48 pm

Speedo drive would come from the back of the gearbox, coming from the final drive. Any error is probably due to tyre/wheel size. Perhaps a Guzzi Forum may be able to advise about re-callibrating.
Tony

Weg

Post by Weg » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:16 am

An ammeter in circuit on an alternator charging circuit is not that common. Perhaps it's not wired in. Hmmm.
Andy, I'll email you a copy of the Triking wiring diagram so that you can see normal circuit. If your colour coded wires correspond with the drawing then you may actually have a Triking loom on it.

Being able to take the body off will be a boon when it comes to fixing behind dash wiring problems and attending to correct function of wipers. But hey, wait till the days are short and sunshine gone before doing that.