Type 1 rebuild

peakrock

Type 1 rebuild

Post by peakrock » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:17 am

You may have deduced from my recent Type 1 questions that I had possibly acquired a Type 1 and you'd be right!

Several months ago I bought a Type 1 which was located on the Isle of Wight, which meant a bit of logistical planning was required to get it back to Norfolk. It's history is quite interesting: originally it was bought by the UK Moto Guzzi importer at the time and was then in Italy for several years until it came back to the UK. It seems it's been off the road for the last 30 years and although I bought it as a rolling chassis, it was essentially bare with no wiring or plumbing fitted.

It's in fairly good condition, particularly the engine which has been rebuilt and finished to a high standard. It's a 950cc Le Mans engine with 40mm Dellortos, twin spark plug heads, electronic ignition and a larger capacity alternator. I don't know for sure if it has an uprated cam, I suspect so but we won't know until the engine is running.

It's a short wheelbase Type 1 according to Al and unusually the bonnet and scuttle are two separate pieces. So far I've stripped it back to a bare chassis so I could turn it over and treat some minor rusty areas at the rear where the bulkhead meets the side panels. I've also drilled out the lower rear rivets on the side panels in order to treat those areas for minor rusting with a neutraliser and paint. They've then been bonded with uPVC mastic and rivetted to the chassis rails with extra rivets.

This is a photo taken when I first started to strip it down. The scissor lift came as part of the deal and was a swine to load onto the trailer as it had to go in first and the Triking on top.
PSX_20230925_094106.jpg

Weg

Re: Type 1 rebuild

Post by Weg » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:13 pm

Great project Dave, good luck.
Scissor lift does restrict access to the tunnel as the weight increases. Just sayin.
Triking Calendar on the wall noted --- July 2019. 8-)

Oily

Post by Oily » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:17 pm

Rat it!!

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:28 am

Some more photos to show progress so far. The chassis is completely bare at this point and easily turned onto its side. Most of the access to the tunnel is through the side rather than underneath as on the Type 2 & 3. This shot from underneath shows the generally excellent condition, the outer panels and the rear section had some minor surface rust so have been prepped and painted.
PSX_20230926_090111.jpg
The rear section of the inside chassis also had some minor rusting so the lower side panel to chassis joins were cleaned up and primed with rust neutraliser/primer, then painted.
PSX_20230926_090504.jpg
Finally a shot of the engine. The previous owner bought a larger capacity alternator which has a deeper coil assembly so he machined a spacer ring which he then drilled out to match the Triking machined exhaust clamps. He made a really nice job of the engine so it will be installed as is.
PSX_20230925_102507.jpg

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:43 pm

I've been spending a lot of time on the electrics. I'm reusing the loom but as it was removed and not labeled up it's been a slow process working out what goes where, sometimes the multi meter has been needed to confirm things. I've also no idea where the switches were located so that coupled with a new dashboard has made it feel like a new build at times!

I've also replaced the whole braking system and converted it to use the braided hoses as on current Trikings as well as remote reservoirs for the master cylinders. I've run the hoses up inside the turrets, similar to modern Trikings athough the sheet metal rather than tubular front chassis gives more scope for mounting the other hardware.
PSX_20231006_194043.jpg

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:40 pm

Work continues on the Type 1 although a lot of it can't really be seen as it's consisted of sorting out the wiring loom, running fuel line and brake pipes through the tunnel etc. However, the dashboard may be of interest to readers as I had to replace the old wooden one due to cracks, surface damage and not wanting rocker switches on it.

I bought a new aluminium dashboard from Triking and after some deliberation decided to have a go at engine turning on it. I've never done this before so I did some research on the web and discovered there are various ways of doing it. In the end I went for the simplest and cheapest method reasoning that if I mess it up I could always cover or paint the dashboard.

I have a pedestal drill so I bought an engine turning tool off eBay which was made of oak with an abrasive head. The shank was 10mm diameter and the head was 25mm. I marked out a matrix on the dashboard using a Sharpie type marker pen. I used some spray can light oil to lubricate the tool and held the head against the dashboard for a count of five. This was repeated many times such that the circles made by the head overlapped. The photo below shows the dash roughly halfway through the process. You can see the pedestal drill top right with the tool in the chuck.
Dash1.jpg
You have to do the circles in the right sequence otherwise it can look odd and I found that when the tool was on the edge of the dashboard I had to be careful that it didn't grab or get misaligned. The next photo shows the dashboard with the turning completed and wiped down ready for clear coating. I used an aerosol satin finish spray from Toolstation that is suitable for coating aluminium.
Dash2.jpg
The last photos shows the dashboard in the Type 1 with gauges and switches fitted. Overall, I'm fairly happy with the result.
Dash3.jpg

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:37 am

What a great job Dave. Impressed.
ATB
Richard