What's a Type 1 gearchange like?

peakrock

What's a Type 1 gearchange like?

Post by peakrock » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:35 pm

I'm rebuilding a Type 1 with a Le Man's engine and gearbox. It has the original gear change linkage in the tunnel which is or will be in good fettle. I could convert it to the external linkage like on the Type 2/3 with a bit of effort and now would be the time as it's in bare chassis form

However, if it works well as is then I'm happy to stick with the original mechanism. I have no experience of driving a Type 1 with this setup so what's it like in practice?

Thanks Dave

Oily

Re: What's a Type 1 gearchange like?

Post by Oily » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:11 pm

peakrock wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:35 pm
I'm rebuilding a Type 1 with a Le Man's engine and gearbox. It has the original gear change linkage in the tunnel which is or will be in good fettle. I could convert it to the external linkage like on the Type 2/3 with a bit of effort and now would be the time as it's in bare chassis form

However, if it works well as is then I'm happy to stick with the original mechanism. I have no experience of driving a Type 1 with this setup so what's it like in practice?

Thanks Dave
Dave - how are you? The linkage that came with mine was awful! My first round-the-block test drive decided that I wouldn’t dare take it out again without the T2/3 linkage (which works perfectly).
I have a few T1 period parts if you need anything (rocker & alternator covers for example), shout if you need anything.

Throwley

Post by Throwley » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:14 am

My T1 has an almost-straight bar from the lever, which passes above the tunnel to a bellcrank/rocker assy connecting in turn to the Guzzi change linkages on the 'box. It did take a bit of setting up to reduce the lost motion at the joints and ensure everything was working as close to 90° as possible, but once that was done it has been fine for years since.

steveO

Post by steveO » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:54 pm

I fitted my type 1 linkage with rose joints and bronze bushes in all the pivots. Made a new vertical link to gearbox.
The change is silky smooth.
Did have a minor problem with gear change becoming stiff when getting hot in slow moving traffic, but this turned out to be a little too tight shimming of the selector drum and nothing to do with the linkage.

Steve

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:25 pm

Thanks Steve

I was thinking along similar lines - rose joints in the linkage and careful setup/adjustment. I'll look into the vertical link too.

Hi Nick, I'm good thanks - how's the Type 4 coming along? I need headlights/indicators and rear lights, if you have any in reasonable condition I'd be interested. Possibly a wiper mechanism. Are you breaking your Type 1 rat with the lovely red wheels?

Dave