Triking types

Pitty

Triking types

Post by Pitty » Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:16 am

Dear all
I am trying to work out the differences / advantages and disadvantages of the deferent types of Triking, as part of my research with the intention to eventually owning one. I have always owned 3 wheelers starting with a 1970s bond bug when i was 17 to recently owning a Morgan M3W Brookland which I have recently sold after fighting with problems and extensive failures, some of you I have met at the various events and chatted to.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Nigel

Weg

Re: Triking types

Post by Weg » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:54 am

Hi Nigel
If I have met you, I don’t recall.
Are you building or buying new/existing?

If building, you will need a donor bike.
The T4 will only take the later Moto Guzzi ‘Carc’ rear mono-shock suspension models.
The T1 2 & 3 need the earlier ‘Big block’ models with twin-shock swinging arm.
T1 is the still available basic design that others have evolved from
T2 similar with improvements, boot lid at the rear.
T3 slightly more room in the cockpit, removable rear section for easier maintenance.
T4 is bigger and wider, developed to make use of the later donor bikes.

That’s the short explanation.
Tony

Alanla

Post by Alanla » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:09 am

Yes indeed just as Tony says that's the abridged version, Except for those looking at further engine options I probably should point out that ANY Guzzi Big Block engine can be fitted to ANY std Triking model with the appropriate transmission. So for example its possible to fit a late CARC engine to a Type 1 and equally possible to fit an early round barrel engine to a T4. In practice of course its always simpler and easier to use a single donor bike rather than mix and match engines and gearboxes...

Pitty

Post by Pitty » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:00 am

Thank you Tony
I think we met at Prescot hill one year I was in a red Pemberton the first time but may have been a Green Morgan in the past few years.
I have now spoken to Alan who has kindly spent some time explaining the differences and options expanding on your post.
From this I am going to look at a Type 3 and part build type 4 to further understand the differences and hopefully sit in one.
I feel from your and Alans comment's a type 3 or 4 will be the way I go.
Having retired a bit early I would like to ether build from a new kit or even an abandoned project someone may have had to unfortunately give up on.
I will have a better idea once I have seen them and can then start to form ideas.
All the best
Nigel

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:40 am

If you are near SG18 you can sit in my T3 currently engineless as it's out for new cam and followers Nigel.

Pitty

Post by Pitty » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:12 am

Thank you for the offer but I am in Lincolnshire a bit far from you, however lucky to be fairly close to Triking builders so am giving them a call tomorrow to arrange a visit.
Many thanks
Nigel

Weg

Post by Weg » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:29 am

Nigel
Prescott was a while back, memory gets a bit vague. But it was great fun.
You'll get plenty of useful help from Triking builders near to you.
I'm in PE7 area, both my T3s are on the road so if you want to have a run out, message or email me.
Tony

Oily

Post by Oily » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:36 pm

Pitty wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:00 am
Thank you Tony
I think we met at Prescot hill one year I was in a red Pemberton the first time but may have been a Green Morgan in the past few years.
I have now spoken to Alan who has kindly spent some time explaining the differences and options expanding on your post.
From this I am going to look at a Type 3 and part build type 4 to further understand the differences and hopefully sit in one.
I feel from your and Alans comment's a type 3 or 4 will be the way I go.
Having retired a bit early I would like to ether build from a new kit or even an abandoned project someone may have had to unfortunately give up on.
I will have a better idea once I have seen them and can then start to form ideas.
All the best
Nigel
Nigel, I have a load of parts for sale - 950 engine & gearbox, wheels, suspension, brakes etc.

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:29 pm

I live near Norwich with a Type 3 on the road and a Type 1 undergoing rebuild so you're welcome to come over sometime.

Dave