Triking Around Calgary

steveO

Triking Around Calgary

Post by steveO » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi,

Further to "show us where you drive" on the old forum I posted a video "Triking Around Calgary" to u-tube (seems I loaded it under my wife's account?)
https://youtu.be/ehrw1Z7znQo

The upload seems to have removed the titles and annotations? This was my first attempt at using u-tube so may have messed up. The video was taken on a first generation HD GoPro.
This was taken about a month back before the white stuff came and was made at about 80 - 90 kmh. This is about as close as you can get to a single lane road here, any less and they are two lane gravel. This road is used as a race track by sport bikes at the weekends and is more interesting in real life than the video.

Hope you like.

Steve

EricStarmer

Re: Triking Around Calgary

Post by EricStarmer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Nice video, Steve - love those mudguards ! I flew into Calgary for the first time earlier this year and was surprised how flat it was - could see mountains not too far away though.

Eric

Weg

Post by Weg » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:52 pm

Great Steve, thanks for sharing.
That was about 50-55mph in old money. I can imagine super bikers at 150-200kph on those traffic free roads. You certainly get time to take in the scenery. You must have got up to over 100kph on the last leg.
Do you have a national speed limit on roads?
Great comparison with Huntingdonshire, must get my gopro dusted off.

steveO

Post by steveO » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:20 pm

Hi,

Turned out I loaded the unedited version of the video, but will leave as is and do better next time. This was a try out so next year will make a couple more particularly the mountains and the Alberta Bad Lands.

Speed limits vary by road. Main hiways are 110 kmph (65 -70 mph). I think the last road I was on is 100km, but I was only doing about 120-130! Very few cops around and they do not bother you if driving fast but safely. Different from growing up in UK although many Calgary cops are from the UK. Mounties out in the rural areas can be a bit more officious.

Originally from North London, but lived in Milton Keynes for 12 years before coming back to Canada for the second time. Spent many happy days riding Harleys all round the home counties.