Some interesting 3 wheelers

peakrock

Some interesting 3 wheelers

Post by peakrock » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:53 pm

I saw some interesting 3 wheelers today at the Grampian transport museum in Alford, near Aberdeen, Scotland.

The red wheeler dates from 1923 and has a chain driving the front wheel. The chainwheel has a short drive shaft to the front wheel with a universal joint, allowing steering to take place.

A nice Bond bug and a Reliant 3 wheeler are also there.
PSX_20230430_135347.jpg

Weg

Re: Some interesting 3 wheelers

Post by Weg » Mon May 01, 2023 9:08 am

Nice find.
There is a comprehensive Bubble Car Museum in Langrick, Lincolnshire. PE22 7AW.

We must take a run there when it is open.

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:09 pm

Excellent.

Used to have a Bondbug. My Triking's handling is a ton better!!!!!!

Andy

Throwley

Post by Throwley » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:07 am

My dad hated Bond Bugs. When I was offered one by a friend of a friend he informed me in no uncertain terms that he would not be happy with the purchase and 'in no way are you parking one of those on my drive'. He had good reason, as a press photographer he was invited to the launch event, at a country house with a long drive so journalists could have a go on private land. The first reporter to drive it came into a downhill turn a bit too quickly and the Bug just toppled and rolled right over. The Bond staff flopped it back onto its wheels and it continued the day without further incident, but minus one wing mirror.

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:45 am

I know! Looked cool, but lethal!!
Never rolled mine, but scratched the side from putting it into two wheels around a roundabout.
Traded it for a Kawasaki Z650 - different type of lethal!!

Andy

steveO

Post by steveO » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:01 pm

When an apprentice I had a Bond mark C or D (forget which) with Villiers engine mounted on front wheel. That experience convinced me 2 wheels at the front not 1.
Since have owned a Can-Am Spyder and a Polaris Slingshot. Both were great, but my Triking outlasts them all.

Steve

Throwley

Post by Throwley » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:12 am

My mum learned to drive in a Bond Minicar. I remember dad having to kick start it, and the smokescreen it let out when it eventually started. I used to be subjected to it courtesy of a wicker child seat lashed sideways behind the seats. My main memory though is of mum not straightening up (or not being able to) after turning left off a hump backed bridge and the car driving into the river. She didn't drive a car for a long time after that.

steveO

Post by steveO » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:25 pm

Yep,
Lift bonnet to kick start, starter never worked. I had never seen a car with so much lock to lock, it would turn around in its own length. Fun but totally impractical, but who cares at 17 years old.

I guess your mum found out all about bump steer lol

Steve