T1 New Tail and more leg room

Lowpass

T1 New Tail and more leg room

Post by Lowpass » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:13 pm

Just a quick update on the replacement tail I'm building and my attempts to gain a little leg room in the process. I wanted a longer tail with a boat tail look. The lower section uses 3/4 inch square steel tubing (same as the T1 chassis) top and bottom formed to shape and skinned with 22 gauge steel sheet. It is 9 inches longer than the stock tail on top tapering down to standard length at the bottom. The tail cap will be fiberglass hinged at the back. The new seat back is formed plywood, curved to gain a little leg room. Measuring the new seat back against the stock one, I get 2 inches of extra leg room and an inch of steering wheel reach assuming factory seat back cushion thickness. I can probably gain another inch by decreasing the cushion thickness which I will do at the top of the seat back to gain steering wheel reach but I don't know that I need it at the bottom. The rear lights and license plate hanger are still work in progress. Not happy with those yet.
Attachments
IMG_2434.jpg
IMG_2433.jpg
IMG_2432.jpg
IMG_2431.jpg

Weg

Re: T1 New Tail and more leg room

Post by Weg » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:33 pm

Love it Bob, great shape.
A lot can be gained by 'sculpting' the foam to give body fitting shape.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Lowpass

Post by Lowpass » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:47 pm

Thank you Tony! Don't know why two of the photos posted upside down. Operator error I'm sure.

The top cap will be built using the sculpted urethane foam method. The cardboard "buck" just provides a sub structure for the packing tape coated with foam. Built this one using that method during COVID. Crude, but effective.
Attachments
IMG_2437.jpg

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:30 am

Well done indeed.
The pictures open up the right way ok.
All the best
Richard

Lowpass

Post by Lowpass » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:17 pm

Thanks Richard,

I'm about two months behind plan as I broke my ankle in late November, stalling progress for a period of time. I can switch back to the original tail if it's not ready for the start of driving season.

Best Regards,
Bob

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:28 am

Get fit quick Bob, don't want to miss and possible drives.
Regards
Richard

Lowpass

Post by Lowpass » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:35 pm

Hello all,
Progress update on the extended tail section:
The tail cap is now shaped with 2 part pour-in-place urethane foam brushed on and then sanded to shape. The rear mounted hinge is fiber-glassed to a strip spanning the top edge of the bottom tail section which will be tied into the top cap with the first layer of glass.
Next steps are to adjust the cap edges to account for the fiberglass layup thickness, coat and sand the entire surface (multiple times) with drywall mud to fill any foam voids and remove flat areas, rattle can paint to seal the surface, and finally mold release. Should be ready to layup the glass in a week or two.
Attachments
IMG_2461.jpg
IMG_2460.jpg
IMG_2459.jpg
IMG_2458.jpg

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:02 pm

Good progress Bob, I like it.

Lowpass

Post by Lowpass » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:45 pm

Thank you Richard, I am happy with the shape. May message the seat back a bit to allow better reach across the cockpit but otherwise it's pretty much set.