Siamesed exhaust

Simon.gk

Siamesed exhaust

Post by Simon.gk » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:54 pm

Staring at the front of my Triking I am wondering about the general mass of twin exhaust pipes, cross over, front collectors and the lengthy pipes down the sides.
My current favourite Guzzi, the Stornello, has siamesed pipes and, eventually, a single silencer one side.
There are pictures of racing Morgans with twin pipes on the left that look cool if noisy.
Any thoughts or examples, maybe pictures?

Weg

Re: Siamesed exhaust

Post by Weg » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:03 pm

I did away with the balance pipe as it was the first thing to hit the ground going out of my driveway.
That also got rid of the expansion boxes, bit of a problem area anyway!
DSC00866e.jpg
On Clarissa, I've made a pair of Brooklands 'silencers' which start at the front of the g/f bodywork, giving me a much shorter tail pipe, dropped to a lower level. Pic to follow when she is assembled.

Throwley

Re: Siamesed exhaust

Post by Throwley » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:18 am

I don't know how Tony/WEG gets his motor running so well without a balance pipe! I've found Guzzis to be a bit harsh and stumbly in the midrange and at idle without the balance pipe and have been unable to tune this out. And equally as bad with a Jota-style large diameter balance pipe. Clearly I don't have Tony's skills :-(

Incidentally, older flat twins are even worse without the balance, and are also improved by using a balance pipe across the intakes.