New Forum Appearance

peakrock

New Forum Appearance

Post by peakrock » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:47 pm

I appreciate the effort that has gone into getting the new forum going but I have to confess that I don't like it as much as the old one. My main gripe is that despite having a large monitor the forum displays in what looks like an 800 x 600 format and I can't find an easy way to change it. Does anyone know how or if this can be changed.I also find the navigation a bit clunky compared with the old forum. I don't mean to sound ungrateful and if it's just me then I'll say no more...
Dave

EricStarmer

Re: New Forum Appearance

Post by EricStarmer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:21 pm

I don't know whether the size of the print and photos is the problem, but , particularly in the case of photos, I often use the "zoom" control to enlarge them, which is situated at the top right of the screen in Google Chrome, and also in Internet Explorer, where it's accessed by clicking on the "gear".
As far as the new Forum appearance is concerned, initially I preferred the old layout, but now have got used to it and do find some benefits, although , like modern microwaves and washing machines, there are more "bells and whistles" than I know what to do with. I do miss having the Forum as a sub-set of the "home page" where one could immediately go to the "Shop" or the "Build Guide".

Weg

Post by Weg » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:28 pm

Well, I agree with all you say.

There was not a lot wrong with the old forum but unfortunately it caught a bug.
The programme that it used was WordPress which is an open source type of thingey.
For some unknown reason it cannot be used to access all of the old content of topics and photos. I can gain access to the text content at the moment through an admin loophole but it’s not possible to share that with members, except by copy/paste method.
So the new forum uses phpBB which is another open source programme.!

My hands are tied at the moment so I am unable to add pages that I could in the old forum top line.

Most people don’t log in to view the forum, which is normal. Once logged in, there are links to some of the old pages within the ‘Quick links’ drop down. You can only see them once logged in. (I didn’t design it).
You should also be able access the message system

The bulk of the forum seems to be working ok and is probably faster than previously. It’s what we have so let’s make the most of it. Shame to loose access to the previous knowledge base.

This is where we can help new builders and owners, those sitting on the fence or those just interested in the Triking. Ask and someone will surely have an answer.

Shame about that logo at the top of the page------!

steveO

Post by steveO » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:33 pm

Got to say the new forum is much easier to log into or just open, the old was taking so long the gateway would timeout.
In Windows the easiest way to zoom in is Control plus the + sign and Control - to get back, the more you hit the more it zooms.
Do miss being able to search all the old knowledge, but understand the issues.
Thanks for all the work it took to get us back up
Steve

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:11 am

Thanks for the tip on zooming in Steve, it's much better viewing now. They do say learn something new every day to stave off brain fade so the new forum layout should help!
Cheers Dave

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Good tip, Steve - easier than my method !

Eric

vividspirit
Site Admin

Post by vividspirit » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks for these points.

I have placed a link, within quick links on the top left, that will allow you to see the old forum.

You will be able to go around old topics, and see the old pages too. No need to login..

To return to this forum, just click 'forum' on the menu bar there.

Messages here should be working.

Width of this site, I will look at changing, however 'zoom' should be sufficient for the time being.

Navigation - I will add some more nav bars here and there.

Anything else, please let me know, either continue this thread or start a new one.

Cheers :D

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:19 am

Thanks, VividSpirit - it's great to have access to the Technical section of the old Forum again - a lot of good information there !

vividspirit
Site Admin

Post by vividspirit » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:53 am

Thats great, I definitely understand the importance of being able to see the information there. We can then bring conversations across and continue them here. If you want to refer to something, you will be able to grab the link from where you are on the old forum and paste it in conversations here

If there are any more tweaks or requests, please let me know, and any other updates I will post and notify everyone.

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:31 pm

Hi, vividspirit - it's great to have access to the "old" Technical section again, but it would be really nice if you could bring back the "search" function for the Technical section. The "search" at the right of the page only appears to search through the other "headline" items on the page - Triking Build Guide, Guides, etc., but doesn't seem to search the old Technical Section.

Eric