When Morgan Meets Triking

Weg

When Morgan Meets Triking

Post by Weg » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:04 pm

I've copied this from the old forum, no other way to share at the moment.
It's a great read with voices that we haven't heard from for a while.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Morgan meets Triking
This topic contains 53 replies, has 18 voices,
• Author

draggin
Just thought i would share this…
http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.ph ... s/302320/1
• 19/09/2015 at 3:59 pm

davidmh
Nice one. I saw this a little while back and thought it an very balanced thread. 19/09/2015 at 5:58 pm

doverhay
Did you notice the comment about Triking “dropping of the radar since the death of Tony Divey”, can’t agree with that. Also, it was a 40 year old Triking versus a 2015 Morgan, not quite a fair comparison but a reasonably fair one apart from that. I did a comparison with mine against a M3W in 2013, the owner of the M3W did prefer the Triking, especially as the his Morgan broke down when were driving out together; the Morgan has its faults, but I would say no if someone gave me one!
20/09/2015 at 12:02 pm

davidmh
Yes – it could have been way worse through. I did notice the comments about the exces vibration on tickover from the Morgan. The suggestion was that this may settle after a few thousand miles, but from what I’ve read the 2-litre engine and Morgan chassis are not particularly well-matched, and this is partly responsible. Also the Morgan owner was suprised that a much smaller engine could move the Triking along so quickly. Really, that should have started him thinking about how each car is designed and engineered
I honestly believe that is someone offered me a M3W for free I’d sell it straight away. Not a bad about-turn for someone who was intent on buying one as little as three weeks ago!
o 21/09/2015 at 11:22 am

alanla
I think I can explain the “dropping off the radar” comment….. Tony had a few old acquaintances within Morgan circles and used to go to the odd event – consequently when he got too old to drive and didn,t get around much he didn,t see any of the Morgan guys – so presumably as they only moved in “Morgan” circles (not Triking) – concluded “Triking” had ceased to exist
21/09/2015 at 11:54 am

davidmh
Great to have parts of the history filled in from an authoritative source – thanks.
• 20/09/2015 at 2:47 pm
draggin
I think a design that has been refined over decades, and a drivetrain that is basically factory with an extended driveshaft has to be more reliable overall. The spread of the bores make the Harley engine uneven, part of the charm, but also why parts fall off, and the frames are engineered HEAVY! Yes i do own one. If someone gave me an Ace, um i mean a Morgan, i would take it, but id have money put aside for repairs and towing!
• 21/09/2015 at 2:27 pm

Richard and Pat
That’s a pretty old thread you have dug up there Draggin. I sense a committed Morganite writing it too; well he would have been prior to getting a least one letter offering several upgrades to the issues uncovered by the early owners. Greg and I having visited the factory were in the throes of buying a 3W from the MMC, I even joined the MOClub for Three-wheelers and initially they were not happy in the ranks about this new interloper. However, it was exciting to drive, the acceleration made you nearly swallow your teeth and they are my own, the engine note on the several short trips we took was very much a rumble up your shirt and just the sort of thing a modern young pensioner wants when spending the kid’s inheritance [we visited most of the Morgan dealers in the East Anglia and the East Midlands sauntering in and asking for a drive]. Add in the cache that is Morgan and it made ownership an exciting prospect.
Then we drove a Triking and and a Morgan 3W on the same day. Greg and I were both immediately struck by the smoothness, the quality of the finished article and the engineering integrity of the complete package. Tony tested his design in long distance trials for goodness sake. There was no rust in evidence on a well used Triking compared to several spots in evidence on the brand new one in the Norfolk showroom. The gear shift pattern suited two hulking great ‘lads’ at six three and an average of sixteen stone and I didn’t even see Alan swallow hard as we asked for a go. I will not forget that day, we had found the answer to our latent three-wheel desires and saved over ten thousand into the bargain. I am not ashamed to tell anyone we bought ours ready built just needing a little personalisation and detailing but I have had most of it apart, not to remedy any fault but to give us better options and in the search for space. Subsequently Greg bought a small farm business with horse power of a different sort and asked me to buy him out so I am now the sole proud owner and I can confirm that the statement on the tin that reads: ‘Driving at is most elemental’ is exactly was it is.
Quotes from greater motoring deity than I:
“Without a doubt, the Triking is the best-handling, best-quality, and best-designed of the modern, Morgan-style trikes and it commands universal respect.” Three-Wheelers – The Complete History Of Trikes 1885-1995 by Chris Rees ISBN 1 899814 05 1
“When you get behind the wheel of a Triking you know you are driving something very special”
Kitcars International – June 1992 Ian Hyne ISSN 0960-2690
• 21/09/2015 at 6:05 pm

Oldtoys
Interesting
My first 3 wheeler was a JZR, with Guzzi engine. On the side of my first flirt with 3W, the best I could extract from this experience with this new passion was the Guzzi engine. I can label the JZR as a kit car without feeling making offense to any owner or manufacturer. It had the privilege to exist for primary buyer.
When my relation became more serious with 3W (climbing the stair case we say here) I considered investing on the next one, the new Morgan and Triking were in my radar screen, Buckland for a short time and Merlin was not giving to me the style to expose a V2
At that time, and on continent, it was difficult to make a ride with any of those to compare. Availability of the “new” MOG, its price, all the buzz around was just allowing to make a deposit to buy a delivery date promise that even Santa claus would not have shared
Specs were telling me it was not an heritage at all. No blame, weight is the most difficult challenge to address, is essential to a pilot, but for most buyer not a primary criteria considered. Morgan was the best brand to re introduce this vehicle and surf on the heritage.
Then when we speak about kit car, hmm, putting together with catia or auto cad software component together is not the best solution for lightness and brand ownership. When you see the motoring and transmission of a MOG, you understand it is a 550kg at best without liquids
Engine choice and treatment to limit power gave me also a strange impression of mismatch
Design was OK, kind of “neo retro” like buying a new beetle or BMW Mini. So we are in this register and customer population target. Essential for Morgan to survive, I wish they sell many of them
As a side rebel bad guy, I did not want to go in this easy mode to feel buying a Rolex and an Harley because I was 50.
I felt better fixing my car than yelling and claim my rights about warranty at distributor. Need to be hands on, or just buy an Audi.
So Triking was my choice, all lights green except one concern, the design, but I made it.
sexy front, managing room for feet in well integrated way, but the back….
Dear, I know we don’t see the back when we drive but here there is room for improvement.
I was happy to see your new front design Alan, with more room for passenger, but still same rear. Catastrophe. It sounds plastic, merry-go-round car, caravaning, 70’s. I would prefer a hole in the body to extract the rear wheel axe than those tail light protrusions.
I prefer a body shape that you don’t know where and how put tail lights and number plate.
With such a wide body it is not easy I guess to make a slim tail but why not from 3 meter length having a 3,5 m to make a nice beetle or barrel back?! Why not a Darmont special tail 8-)). Polyester allows about all shape. I don’t know if UK regulations or other block road avoid this so my noisy brainstorm.
I hope my english and perhaps rude tone will not be misinterpreted.
I am a great fan of my Triking and can share all the good I think of it and the great fun as a pilot.
I will do the same again if same choice happen to me, just it is Monday.
Cheers, Pierre
• 21/09/2015 at 7:31 pm

alanla
Hi Pierre, Naturally styling is always a matter of personal taste , The Triking has evolved with the rear shape largely out of practicality – covering the internal components and positioning of lights etc, We are happy to mould any shape you (or anyone else) would like for the rear, its quite simple on T1 and T3 as the rear panel is separate, Of course it can still be done on a T2 like yours but is slightly more involved as it has the “one piece” body, the T4 again could be changed or supplied with a bespoke / different / optional rear panel, naturally in the case of a builder constructing a Triking from a kit we can supply it without a rear panel at all so the builder can even make their own design, as you say its easy enough to work in GRP – just time consuming, A barrel back carrying a spare wheel is of limited benefit with different wheel fitments front and rear and also carrying significant weight rearward of the rear wheel is always going to have a negative effect on the handling. As ever we are very happy to consider any styling suggestions or improvements etc to our design.
o 22/09/2015 at 10:39 am

Oldtoys
Thanks for your reply Alan
Yeap, my T2 one piece body is the bloker to change the rear or make modification
I have too much respect to the car intigrity to make any change to mine
I can live with it, it gives me much fun.
On another project I would consider a separate panel to allow a bespoke evocation of what you believe to be the perfect shape.
Do you have a picture of the plain tapered tail?
French regulation consider a 3W as a motorbike category, so we have less constraints relative to lights and number plate
But also many other downside considering registration
Always good in this kind of 3W choice to consider if you want a product produced 10 a week or 2 per month.
Having direct contact with the builder or distributor
Building from kit or turn key, to give all attributes to the uniqueness of your toy
For me this was also an evidence to go with TRK
Many thanks, Pierre
• 22/09/2015 at 7:48 am

davidmh
Having crossed over from being a prospective M3W owner to being a Type 1 owner I have to say I don’t mind any of the features on the Type 1, including the rear light clusters. To my mind it isn’t as pretty as an M3W rear-end, but it’s functional, and overall the Triking is prettier.
I re-watched some of the M3W video’s last night on you-tube, of which there are a LOT. I was struck by references to the cars weight, which some said was about the same as the Triking, but I can’t see how this can be. The engine and gearbox alone must contribute a chunk of extra weight. Perhaps they mean that the car is as light as a complete Triking WITHOUT the engine/gearbox?
The references are there about where the M3W originates from, but they are heavily-veiled, mostly by Morgan tradition and mystique, and without actually lying Morgan do seem to like to give the impression that the car was designed and buit in-house.
I’m VERY pleased I talked to the nice M3W salesman at Rutters, and Mark and Allan before making a decision about which car to go for.
• 22/09/2015 at 8:48 am

alanla
We have considered supplying a plain “tapered” tail section for Triking kits – leaving the builder to make or adapt their own light pods or stalks – but when it came down to it almost everyone wanted to start with a std Triking tail section, legally for Europe the lights have to be positioned within a specified area, so there is not that much option for the actual position of the lights.
A std Triking road going spec with reverse gear, full touring windscreen and petrol etc ,ready to drive (but without driver) weighs 400kg.
A basic spec model without reverse and full screen can readily be reduced to 360kg
We have built competition spec models down to 270kg
I don,t know much about the exact weight of the Morgan but as I understand it- it must be fairly heavy just by looking at the components individually – I would guess it can,t be much under 500kg – and as the first years road tax is £500 + as its over a certain weight and cc limit.
I am reliably informed (although happy to be corrected) that it is essentially a re-engineered version of the USA built Liberty Ace design.
I could go on for ages and bore everyone about design differences, crank angles, drive trains, vibration etc, but plenty has already been written about the evolution of both Marques.
o 23/08/2017 at 6:39 pm

Oily
The rat weighs in at 240kg!
• 22/09/2015 at 12:39 pm

alanla
sorry – no pictures of a plain tail section – but just visualise it as a std Triking tail without the light pods !
o 22/09/2015 at 2:32 pm

draggin
The bespoke nature, the fact that each one of these vehicles is a reflection of the tastes and vision of its owner/builder, is part of what makes it great!
I would think that the end-user, especially if dealing with a body with a detachable tail section, could temporarily reinforce the tail section, pop rivet an aluminum sheeting backing panel, cut the nacelle protrusions out, and then ‘Glass in a new flush section.
Time consuming, but very do-able. I suppose you would also need a stout enough backing structure to mount tail lights on with stalks. Here in the states the legislation has not yet caught up with 3-wheelers, so we have a lot more lee-way, at least in my home state of Michigan. There are plenty of articles on the net, and videos on working with fiberglass. My dad was a wiz at it, used to build his own Ford Model A fenders and such.
ALL theoretical, your mileage may vary, and remember i have never even seen a Triking in the flesh!
• 22/09/2015 at 2:18 pm

draggin
This book talks about the Origin of the Ace, and it’s basis for the M3W. Apparently he built it because he could get a Triking!
https://books.google.com/books?id=vcvBC ... on&f=false
• 22/09/2015 at 7:14 pm

Oily
I have done away with the rear bodywork entirely, and done this…….Image
o 22/09/2015 at 7:37 pm

Oily
Sorry, useless at this pic reducing malarky…….
• 22/09/2015 at 7:23 pm

DSU475
The attached pic was taken at this years German three Wheeler meeting, held at Inverary, Scotland. It shows a selection of Triking ‘back ends’ . Most are Type 1’s .
From the closest car we have :- TYPE 3, TYPE 1, TYPE 1, TYPE 1 (mine) , TYPE 1, TYPE 1, TYPE 2 .
The first TYPE 1 shows a modified light pod set-up, this gives a look similar to the M3W.
Personally I quite like the look of the original, although as with my car I think a darker colour and separate lights help.
• 22/09/2015 at 8:01 pm
archie

Without prejudice
This is fact and not my biased opinion
In the last 2 years I have built 4 car for customers that have had Morgan 3 s and either sold them very quickly,demanded there money back or in one case ( in the USA) sued them and got there money back with damages due to the bump steer problems. I have also built one for a man who was so disgusted when he went to the Factory and they were offloading rolling chassis from Liberty Ace and he thought they were UK built from scratch.
Re. Rear body
In the early 80 s I phoned Tony Divey to enquire about a Triking and commented on the rear. His short answer was that his design was not a copy of any one else’s car and that form should alway come second to function. At the time his words did not mean a lot to me. Years later after owning an original 1929 Morgan Super Aero for a considerable time and watching people including myself break and bend the rear light stalks causing damage to the bodywork and finally cutting my leg on the corner of the number plate did I start to understand his comments. Whilst sitting in the St. John’s ambulance tent at a show getting my cut bandaged I remembered that sharp reply to my smart comment( IN MY DESIGN FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION)
Finally, If you look through the internet you will find literally hundreds of complaints about the Morgan and the way that customers are treated, but I cannot find One about the Triking. Please correct me if I am wrong.
o 25/09/2015 at 8:55 am

Oldtoys
This is what it is about, “Design form follows function” It is tricky (ing?) to have both matching, engineers and designers are not best friends in automotive industry. We know who is the boss in the shed!
I would not have been able to extract my rear wheel axe without that extra room for rear lights (T2 fixed body)… So, who’s right?!
Not fan of the 2 tone car in DSU475 pics but I like very much the second car with separated lights and their high position.
I would be a pro of GRP, I would have added 30 cm (12″) in length to the whole rear end. Enough for design shape and not adding much inadequate weight.
Distance between back of seats and tail end is so short that it makes difficult to draw in a streamline way.
It is correct those days that I am polluted by prewar stuff and design, my 34 beetle back Morgan sitting near the Triking gives me the best of the 2 worlds and confusion too. Haha, spoil kid concerns
I like this post, I like the idea for the tee shirt (XL) and more about why we have a dent/crack on helmet to go with those great cars.
Cheers, Pierre
PS, Thanks Alan for this momentum of You and Tony going with V2TRK at Morgan in 2000. Good to know my car was the best window of Triking capabilities, kind of effective concept car.
• 22/09/2015 at 8:10 pm

doverhay
Reading all of the above, its funny to think the Tony Divey designed and built the Triking because he couldn’t find a Morgan, the Liberty Ace came about because the man couldn’t find a Triking, and the latest M3W was came about because of the Liberty Ace, sounds like its gone full circle.
• 22/09/2015 at 8:52 pm

peakrock
How interesting to read this thread. I have to say I quite like the back end of my Mark 2 Triking, it’s cool retro styling in my book…!
o 22/09/2015 at 9:07 pm

doverhay
I must agree, and my series 3 looks pretty good too.
• 22/09/2015 at 10:17 pm

alanla
Yep – its cool retro for sure – but can be slightly annoying when doing involved work on the rear end mechanicals !
More Facts…………………………..
Having previously owned Morgans Tony designed and built the first Triking as practical useable “modernised” everyday cyclecar to suit his own requirements (this is why early models are so small inside as it was just to fit Tony) it was essentially a new design drawing on Lotus technology from the era (Tony,s then employer) and based around the Guzzi running gear (readily available with a compatible layout) it was never intended to emulate Morgan or anything else. We have subsequently improved and refined the Triking design and (hopefully) continue to do so.
In the 80s as a development project we built a HD engined Triking – it ran very rough and had extensive vibration / transmission issues, It would not have been cost effective or practical to produce, we soon realised that without extensive/very involved vibration damping or shock absorbing componentry the cylinder angle and power charachteristics (torque spikes) of this type of engine was inherently unsuitable for the drive train required in a Triking type layout. It could be made to work but it would be heavy, expensive and complicated – there was simply no reason to do so when the Guzzi power train works fine in std form. I am told this Triking now lives in a museum in America.
In the early 2000s Tony and I took a Triking (actually Pierre,s – formerly V2 TRK) by invitation to the Morgan factory, The Morgan guys looked it over for a while then had a bit of a meeting with Tony while I got a tour of the factory. After a while we left with the official assessment something like, “Its very nice and we definitely will build something like it in the future but the time is not right for us just now – thanks so much for coming”.
Shorty afterwards we were commissioned by a Morgan agent to build the Morgan/Triking to their exacting specification – essentially a Triking rolling chassis and power train with vintage Morgan styled bodywork and sliding pillar front end – although visually appealing it was technically a flawed design largely due to the steering geometry.
Some time later journalist and Triking owner Andrew English went to America and test drove the Liberty Ace, On his return he introduced Morgan to Liberty…………………..
There is more about this in the Peter Dron book,
Of course Morgan are (by our standards) a very large company with seemingly extensive design and production resources and a comprehensive dealer/sales network, with a dedicated following of committed owners.
I,m just a bloke in a shed…………………………………………….
o 23/09/2015 at 8:53 am
archie
And that’s what sets the Triking apart from the others. 38 years and thousands of hours spent developing a product in the pursuit of the elusive perfection as opposed to thousands of pounds spent on fancy marketing and suited and booted dealers.
Quality sells itself.
 This reply was modified 3 years ago by
• 22/09/2015 at 10:43 pm

doverhay
Alan, you crack me up sometimes, I bet a lot of Morgan owners wish that they could find a bloke in the shed who could sort their problems out!
• 23/09/2015 at 5:42 am

draggin
“Built by a bloke on a shed” great idea for a t-shirt.
• 23/09/2015 at 8:07 am

alanla
That’s genious – why didn,t we think of that, will get some printed…………………
• 23/09/2015 at 8:32 am

doverhay
Put me down for a medium size.
• 23/09/2015 at 11:38 am

davidmh
I’ll have one too please – med.
Back to facts. After a longish telephone conversation with Alan, and a ‘several-hour’ visit to Mark I was totally sold on the car – remember I haven’t even driven one yet. I can’t remember anyone pushing me to buy – quite the opposite in fact. I hope Mark won’t mind me saying that I had to twist his arm, metaphorically, to even accept a deposit from me.
I love the ‘built-by-a-man-in-a-shed’ ethos – very British!
• 23/09/2015 at 1:38 pm

doverhay
I also purchased mine without a drive first, just sat in one and fell in love with the whole concept.
• 23/09/2015 at 2:17 pm

draggin
I havent even seen one except for photos, but im saving up for one!
• 23/09/2015 at 7:24 pm
Pops in Kent
I very seldom post on websites (too old and most probably too Luddite) but I must say this thread has been an absolute delight to read in terms of information and the comparison it provides between the Triking and the only three-wheeler that comes close – the M3W. I found the extracts from Tony Dron’s book about the early development of the second generation M3W and the influence of the Triking particularly interesting. I did consider the M3W before I put a deposit down on the Triking but opted for the latter because a) it’s much more light and agile (having grown up in the shadow of Lotus’ original factory and owned a few Lotuses in the past, I have always paid heed when buying cars to Chapman’s mantra to “add lightness” and I think Tony Divey’s early association with Chapman clearly shows in the Triking), b) it’s much more of a unique sight on the road and c) it’s by far the prettier of the two – including the rear! I was in the fortunate position of being able to afford either but for me, there was no question that the Triking is a far better, purer concept. I hope to have my Triking cyclecar on the road within the next couple of months (it’s in the paint shop at the moment) and cannot wait to enjoy it on the road – winter and summer. I also found it a great pleasure and a return to real, old-fashioned values to deal with “the bloke in the shed” – knowledgeable, helpful but above all, passionate about his product. If there are any large T-shirts going, I’ll have a couple!
o 23/09/2015 at 7:58 pm

davidmh
Seems a few of us new to Triking share the same idea when it comes to M3W and Triking!
• 23/09/2015 at 8:02 pm

iant-s
I was in Stafford today and a Morgan drove past. Got to say it looked a very fine thing, but the squeaking, squarking, squelching noise the rear drive belt was making just sounded like something was wrong with the car. Had a quick chat to the driver who said he was going to get the belt changed under warranty AGAIN! Harleys use the same type of Gates toothed belt and I have never hear a bike make any such noise. It kind of made me wonder what the M3W owners will do when their warranties expire.
Anyway I have GOT to have a “Built in a shed” shirt – but mine needs the sub-text “Over many, many years!”
• 23/09/2015 at 9:20 pm

David Q
I’ll also take a large size shirt! This is a wonderful thread. I purchased my kit after having visited Alan in his “shed” and having been driven around by him. However I was too intimidated to actually drive it myself. I finally did drive one after I’d ordered my kit and I’ve been in love ever since. It’s the perfect blend of charm, character and fun. I call it a “feel good” car – I feel good driving it, and other people also feel good about it judging by the number of waves and thumbs up I receive. It also helps that every owner I’ve met has been friendly and has accepted me as a fellow Trikingist.
David Q
• 23/09/2015 at 10:07 pm

DN-AH7
Yes David, I agree, since 25 years and over 100 k miles the Triking is my favorit. The new Morgan will never have the performance than a Triking. The design of the M3W is rubish. The bloke in the shed (Alan) is our men.
Regards Axel
• 24/09/2015 at 1:58 pm
Musselermark
To add my peneth worth. I purchased my Triking without driving one first. Also I would like a tee shirt in medium if they happen.
Thanks
• 24/09/2015 at 2:13 pm

overdrive
Hello Everybody, Very interesting thread, Hopefully, attached couple of pictures of the trike that I have built. Bought bare chassis, front suspension and front wheels off Allan, rest of it I have sctatch built over the last 3 years, weighs in at 340 Kilo, covered just over 800 miles in her this year generally shakin her down and sorting out front suspension adjustments and modifications.Few interesting additions like electric reverse that is extremeley light and very efficient, but won’t bore you too much. This winter project is to supercharge her with a Sorrocks c75b. Hope this is of some intrest, thanks Malc.
o 24/09/2015 at 6:05 pm

doverhay
I love what you’ve done; however, when I saw it at the Stoneleigh show I was listening to some of the remarks made by passers by, It’s a bit like “Marmite” you either love it or hate it, and as I said, I love it, a great job and I only wish I had the skills.
• 24/09/2015 at 5:10 pm

WestEndGuzzi
Well done Malc. Great to see the pictures.
Shows what can be done without spending a fortune. You must still be getting a lot of satisfaction from the build and sorting.
This is a passion that it is very difficult to get too much of.
Good luck with the blower, your power/weight ratio will be even better. Is that a 950 engine?
Hope you will be able to join us at some events/gatherings in the future.
Tony
• 24/09/2015 at 6:55 pm

overdrive
Hi Tony,
Its an 1100i engine, modified to run Dyna-Tec Ignition and 38m/m Dellorto Carbs. The main reason for building it was to learn how to use a wheeling machine to build the body and to stretch the old brain a little in the design of things like pedal box, steering colunm etc. I looked at pictures of vintage Morgans and kind of built it incorporating all the bits I liked! As you know a Triking chassis is awesome fun to drive, probably the most fun Ive’ had on more than 2 wheels!! Maybe next year I will be able to come along to some of your events, Malc.
• 24/09/2015 at 7:34 pm

DSU475
Hi Malc,
I remember seeing your car at Stoneleigh, it didn’t strike me at the time that you have a 2 into 1 exhaust system, I’ve wanted to do the same to mine for a while ! I wonder if you could send me your chassis number and contact email / number for the Triking register ? Personal message or email me on tisileclay@fmail.co.uk.
Many thanks and hope to see you in 2016.
Andy
• 24/09/2015 at 8:41 pm

overdrive
Hi Andy,
Yes, built a 2 into 1 system out of st/st tube, thought maybe better if primary pipes same length into a collector then 1 pipe and 1 silencer, better performance and saves a bit of weight. Will email you my email address, thanks Malc.
• 05/10/2015 at 6:24 am

JFerg
I also bought mine before having ever driven one; but it did take me 30 years to get it. Fancy there was a feature in “Classic Bike” or similar, sometime in the early eighties. I was smitten at first sight. Wrote to Tony, who replied with plenty of encouragement and the details of the two (at the time) Australian Trikings. Wrote fruitlessly for years to the owner in Melbourne, with no response. On a business trip to the UK in the early nineties I managed a side-trip to meet Tony and had my first ride in one. That was his hack, fitted with the then-new four-valve engine and a Mazda ‘box. Stayed well smitten. Finally acquired 2B81.11 in late 2013, as fourth owner. The three previous between them had not put 500km on it. Still smitten.
Put me down for two T shirts, large.
cheers,
JFerg
• 27/01/2016 at 5:24 pm

draggin
Well my wife has had a reality check with me. and reminded me that for a quarter of the year I work 6 day weeks (on call 7), That I already have 5 bikes that I barely use , and that i’m not getting any younger. So she handed me the cash we made selling her 58 ford ranch wagon, and I sold my guitar collection, and we put the whole lot as a down payment on a Morgan, It should be delivered in June.
• 30/01/2016 at 9:38 am

doverhay
My wife would have told me to get rid of some or all of the bikes first! Have fun in the Morgan, it’s not a Triking but still a great deal of fun.
• 01/02/2016 at 11:23 am

Richard and Pat
As Richard says: You will enjoy the Three-wheeling whatever the make I’m sure.
• 23/08/2017 at 5:00 am
draggin
My Mog. I should have built the type4 Triking!
o
• 23/08/2017 at 4:20 pm

WestEndGuzzi
Oh dear.
You still have time!
• 23/08/2017 at 10:01 pm

draggin
No time and no money! The Morgan was 65 grand!
• 24/08/2017 at 2:29 am

draggin
Its a good car, its just that i didnt build it.

frederick

Re: When Morgan Meets Triking

Post by frederick » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Not sure if this is an appropriate place for this post, but it follows the comments pro and con of the Triking's rear bump outs. I personally prefer the smooth rear end of the M3W so I thought I'd see what it looked like on a type 3 and 4.
SMOOTHTAILS.jpg

frederick

Post by frederick » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:09 pm

btw anyone interested in the backstory behind the M3W as parented by Pete Larsen's ACE Cyclecar look up this link: http://morgan3wheeler.us/about/history

frederick

Post by frederick » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:47 am

Couple more things and then I'll quit. When I visited the ACE "factory" 8 or 9 years ago I noticed one huge drawback to Larsen's design and made considering one of his "kits" a deal breaker for me. He had settled on a Honda touring bike shaft final drive, which when hooked up to the big Harley evo motor forced the driveshaft into an odd angle, severely cutting down passenger side derriere room...you can get an idea in the attached pic.
ACE INTERIOR.jpg
What did appeal to me was his rear end treatment...see middle pic. Something we can get away with in the US and what I have planned for my type 4 kit when (fingers crossed) it arrives.
ACE CYCLECAR.jpg

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:26 am

Re Smooth tails: The type 3 is not so easy as the swage line lower down needs some dealing with. Type 2 however looks good. Interesting on the Type 4 though.
Attachments
rsz_dscf0166.jpg
rsz_dscf0164.jpg

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi, Richard - I'm not sure who's Triking this is, but do you know what those silver circles at the front of the boot are - hinge points ?

Eric

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:32 am

Hi Eric,
It is Guy's car and they are push button catches, see fleabay item number: 202357537789. I have some pictures of mounting method in my files somewhere.

Weg

Post by Weg » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:11 am

Here is Guy's comment following the 40th Bash in Norfolk (from old forum)
13-07-18
"A few Triking owners requested information on the push button quick release catches on the rear end of my Triking. They can be found on Ebay or Ali Express by searching for ‘Car Quick Release Push Button Clip.’
(About the same number of people requested information on how the ‘Disappearing Bread Trick’ was performed on Saturday evening, but a magician never reveals his secrets!}
Guy SIG 6463"

and a further comment
19-07-18
"When I first fitted the catches, I didn’t have the top push button release part axis within the allowed 5 – 10 degrees of the lower bolt (with the spherical ball) axis, and they wouldn’t release easily. Alan of Triking fame identified the problem and made a small raised angled pad to correct the alignment issue. These small pads are not needed if more care is taken with the potential alignment problem.
Apologies for the delay in answering, I’ve been deep within the workshop knocking up a rear tool box ‘A la West End Guzzi’ "

Got any pictures Guy?

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:47 pm

Thanks, Richard and Tony - I haven't seen these before. Has anyone used them on the bonnet - although it seems like they would only work when the items to be latched are approaching each other perpendicularly, like the front top of the boot, rather than parallel, like the rear sides of the bonnet, though. Maybe there's enough flex in the bonnet to make them work by pushing the sides of the bonnet in?

Eric

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:36 pm

You could use longish centering pins in the sides, pushing down into sockets and the pins to locate but you would still need to secure the front. My bonnet is secured at the rear lower edge by threaded rod and long nut and a spring at the nose. If the threaded rod was replaced by the pins I could reach into each side and press the button from inside perhaps?