Flooding/starving carb?

riccardogale

Flooding/starving carb?

Post by riccardogale » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:28 pm

My Triking has always done this thing where, if i come hot into a fairly fast and sharp corner, it will run on one cylinder for like 10 seconds and then they both start firing again. I dont know which cylinder i lose, nor the cause (I assume fuel starvation OR flooding, but I could be somehting else for all I know.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Throwley

Re: Flooding/starving carb?

Post by Throwley » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:43 am

Yes!

It wasn't on a Triking, in fact I can't remember what it was actually on*, but the cause was a loose connection to a condenser. In fact it had completely cracked through at the solder joint into the can and the modest cornering force was enough to move it out of contact and drop the ignition out.

*I've now remembered - it was my Triumph TR7.

Weg

Post by Weg » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:59 pm

Have you tried fitting the anti-surge washers above the main jets, assuming you have Phf36 carbs.?

BSA

Post by BSA » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:43 am

I have very similar symptoms on type 3 with PHF36s.

Smaller float needles helped a bit - as did lowering the pressure from the fuel pump by running a return to the tank downstream from the pump. I also run the anti-surge washers - although I think they are to guard against leanness rather than coping with richness.

It can still readily be provoked though to cut onto one - OK at wider throttle openings but particularly noticeable if after cornering hard there isn't a need to floor it.

It is definitely richness rather than leanness on mine - you can smell the fuel. I think the carbs are just not designed to have to cope with the fuel slosh caused by cornering without leaning per motorcycle application.

I may try a fuel pressure regulator again, to bring the fuel pressure down a bit more - but struggle to get the motivation as it runs very well in most conditions.

I would be very interested to read any updates from you about anything else you try.

Cheers

Rohan (NZ)

riccardogale

Post by riccardogale » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Best I can tell, various owners hve tried various fixes and some seem to help a it but no one has figured out how to solve the issue completely. I have long since fitted electric ignition to mine, so I do believe its a fuel/carb related issue. I do not smell gas when this happens, personally. The mystery continues. i hope someone may jump on here who has figured this one out and share the fix!

Musselermark

Post by Musselermark » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:11 pm

I managed a 99% cure by fitting 150 or 175 needle valves( can’t remember without looking) rather than gravity fed 300 size as standard. Fitted a malpassi Filter king to smooth out fuel pump pulses between pump and carbs . Main benefit was fitting dell Otto surge washers just above main jets. I do not have a return pipe to the fuel tank. This has worked for me.