Has anyone suffered a catastrophic failure?

riccardogale

Has anyone suffered a catastrophic failure?

Post by riccardogale » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:55 pm

I've owned my Triking for 25 blissful years and have never had any form of catastrophic failure... thank goodness! By that I mean, never has anything broken during use that presented a danger, such as a broken front wishbone, that could result in a dangerous accident.

But I'd like to know if anyone has suffered any scary mechanical failure like that, and if so, what happened? I am replacing the rear shocks on my Type I and note that the upper mounts for the rear shocks are constructed of sheet metal, which seems kinda dicey to me.

Richard and Pat

Re: Has anyone suffered a catastrophic failure?

Post by Richard and Pat » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:18 pm

Hi, can you attach a photo?

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:28 am

I think you’ll more likely to have a tyre or UJ failure before an suspension failure; however, it doesn’t mean you should neglect checking all parts of the chassis on a regular basis.
You say you are replacing the shocks due to part of them made from sheet metal, I guess they are the originals so they have not done to badly and have not let you down for those 25 years😉
I shall be changing my rear shocks sometime in the near future but only because I need them a little longer and to match the new type fitted to the front. 👍

riccardogale

Post by riccardogale » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:38 pm

@Doverhay actually I am replacing the shocks because they are 35 years old! I just noticed when removing them that the upper mounts for the rear shocks look flimsy. Can you tell me why you worry about the universal joint? Would you suggest I replace it if it is 35 yrs old (original) and has seen about 32000 miles? I am aware or the concern over rear tile failure, though I've never experienced any issue. As I have a very early car (#34 I believe) the rear end won't accomodate a car tire. I've always used an Avon on the back, then tried the Heidenau (I think I preferred the Avon) and now recently just fitted a Metzeler but haven't tried it yet.
Attachments
ACDE15AF-EB7D-43A6-9790-955430B6601A_1_105_c.jpeg
B3818A3B-5833-4F91-A120-914B3C51B564_1_105_c.jpeg

Throwley

Post by Throwley » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:50 am

riccardogale wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:38 pm
Can you tell me why you worry about the universal joint? Would you suggest I replace it if it is 35 yrs old (original) and has seen about 32000 miles?
(Sorry to jump in)
Guzzi UJs are a traditional weak point in the drivetrain. They suffer from poor lubrication, sudden changes in torque direction and thrust loads which are not within the design parameters of the part. They're expensive but worth changing whenever you're down to that level of dismantling (I keep a spare ready to go on). The driveshaft splines must always be scrupulously cleaned and lubricated when changing the UJ.

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:57 pm

Thanks Throwley, couldn’t have put it better myself👍
With ref to tyres, it’s more the age of tyres that you need to keep an eye on, if you’re using the car regularly you’re probably changing the tyres regularly too so shouldn’t be a problem.

Simon.gk

Post by Simon.gk » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:34 pm

Hi
I have number 35 and it is fitted with the modified wheel and a car tyre. It seems to be wearing well but I will be looking very carefully at the drive train this winter given all the comments about the U/Js.
skm.rearwheeljpg.jpg
I also need to adjust the handbrake.

riccardogale

Post by riccardogale » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:00 pm

Thanks for the info on the u/j joint guys. I'll go ahead and replace while I'm at it.

@Simon, is that a red 120 I see in the top right of the photo? If so we indeed have a lot in common! :D

Simon.gk

Post by Simon.gk » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:16 pm

Hi.
The glimpse of red in the picture is a 1959 TR3. It is in wonderful condition and now shares the garage with an E type going through a full restoration. He sold on the Triking to give more space for the task, luckily for me. His level of care and workmanship is simply amazing as is shown in my Triking.
The original thread was catastrophic failure and, while I am happy to report that none have occurred with the Triking I realised that there have been a fair number over the years even discounting the race track. For example, while being given a test ride in a friend's newly acquired Morgan Plus 4 in about 1965, it caught fire right outside the Brompton Oratory. Having screeched to a stop, we both leapt out and stood well clear. It was eventually extinguished but I went home on the bus. A couple of total brake failures were probably the most exciting but I am sure that others have interesting tales.
Maybe a new thread?