Dolly Towing

Jigno

Dolly Towing

Post by Jigno » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:56 pm

Has anyone used a dolly to tow their Triking behing a motorhome.
I am thinking of reverse towing with the rear wheel lifted to prevent the transmission rotating.
I guess castor will be against me so will have to lock the steering.

It looks as if it will be classed as a trailer but because it is under 750kg does not need brakes.
Found this on A frames but does not refer to dollies https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... nd-dollies.

I am in the process of building an enclosed trailer but at its going to be rather big for short trips
Anyone?

peakrock

Re: Dolly Towing

Post by peakrock » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:26 pm

I found this on the Barlow trailers website...

A-frames and dollies

If you attach an A-frame to a car in order to tow it with a larger vehicle, the car plus the A-frame counts as a trailer.

If you use a dolly to tow a broken-down vehicle, the dolly counts as a trailer.

In both cases, the usual safety regulations for trailers apply.

It's a bit of a grey area but I would be inclined to use an A frame that operates the Triking brakes via an overrun coupling - Tony (WestEndGuzzi) has detailed how he modified his A frame to do that. I also built my Triking with that in mind - I can attach/detach the brake cable directly to the Triking brake pedal very simply. I have yet to complete the A frame as I have a covered trailer but will get round to it eventually.

You can also put the forward/reverse box into "neutral" if you're careful so that only the rear hub and rear propshaft are being driven round when you're towing....

Dave

Weg

Re: Dolly Towing

Post by Weg » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:19 pm

Just in case you haven't found it, here's a link to the original notes about my A-frame, which is on the old archived forum.
http://forum.trikingsportscars.co.uk/fo ... ame-towing

Here's the latest about the braking linkage for the A frame.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=247&p=1779&hilit=a+frame#p1779

Big advantage with the A frame is that it takes up very little stowage space, in my boot.

Tony