Hats or helmets

Simon.gk

Hats or helmets

Post by Simon.gk » Tue May 04, 2021 7:59 pm

With a couple more heavy rains to wash off the winter salt, it is nearly time to complete our purchase of the Triking and get it on the road.
In Canada, the Triking is a car and therefore not subject to helmet laws whereas in some of the USA, its a bike so helmets are required. I wear helmets when motorcycling both for safety and protection from wind, bugs, rain etc so I am quite happy wearing one.
My brief experience to date in a Triking is that the screen offers little protection so what do other members wear? Traditional flat hat, baseball hat turned backwards if in a hurry, or even a leather flying helmet and goggles. Maybe what we call a toque, IE, a woolly hat with or without a bobble is the most common choice? If a helmet, should it be colour coordinated, open face or full face?
The Caterham and the Elise both generated endless questions so maybe its safer to hide in a helmet.
It has been a long day of bad covid news, hence the need to look at better things.
Stay Safe everyone.

Weg

Re: Hats or helmets

Post by Weg » Tue May 04, 2021 8:53 pm

My humble opinion----
Without windscreen, wear a helmet.
With windscreen trapper hat in the winter to keep the ears warm, baseball cap in the summer but keep it the right way round. You need the peak to keep the sun out of your eyes. Adjust it tight enough so as not to blow off. (Or sew some bonnet strings to it)
Happy Triking
Tony

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Wed May 05, 2021 9:25 am

Plain leather flying helmet is surprisingly cold. However for cold work a fur lined helmet is well recommended. It is possible to turn the ear flaps up too. I guess it also depends on how much hair you still possess. :lol:

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Fri May 07, 2021 12:41 pm

Here is Wisconsin the Triking is a motorcycle and there is no helmet law. In Minnesota 5 miles from me it is also a motorcycle with no helmet law. The strange thing is that in Minnesota it falls under the subcategory of cycle car (still motorcycle) which only requires a car drivers license where as in Wisconsin it requires a motorcycle license.

Back to the helmet or no helmet. I always wear a full face helmet on a motorcycle for both protection and comfort from wind, bugs, flying gravel, etc. In the Triking I just wear a baseball cap for sun protection to the eyes. The touring windscreen does a nice job of protecting you from direct wind. Granted I am 5'8" tall and look through the windshield not over it. When it gets cold I have a fur lined hat to keep my head and cheek warm.

A full face helmet will give you the most protection in case of an incident. That being said, the Triking is not a "safe" vehicle by modern standards. To me its a matter of risk vs reward. The risk is well known and the reward is the experience of driving one. Its like the first time you road a bike as a child, or a motorcycle when you got older, or drove a car.