New member somewhere in UK

Skeomorph

Re: New member somewhere in UK

Post by Skeomorph » Mon May 24, 2021 10:11 pm

Well the choice between type 3 and type 4 has been made by the installation of a California in my garage :). I feel a bit bad for breaking such an impressive machine, but justify it by probably saving a bikers life!

Thinking now about my shopping list. I need to take a close look at what's in the comprehensive kit to see if that's the route for me, or to go for individual items.
S.

Weg

Post by Weg » Tue May 25, 2021 8:26 am

Congratulations.
If you can, ride the bike around for a while to give you a good idea of how the engine and gearbox feel. Will help to pinpoint anything that may need attention prior to fitting into the Triking.
A logical approach to cleaning, checking, painting etc of engine/gearbox, swinging arm, final drive will be worth the time spent while waiting for delivery of the kit.
You’ll be able to recoup quite a bit of money from selling off all the Guzzi bits you don’t want, but beware of disposing of frame with chassis number stamped on prior to registration, as the authorities have the right to check the donor. (I have not heard of this ever happening.)
You can build a superb Triking using just the kit and Callifornia donor.
Depending on your budget, you may want to consider luxuries, reverse gearbox and Type 3 body for example.
Good luck, let’s see a picture of the bike so we can see what you will be sacrificing!

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Tue May 25, 2021 4:53 pm

Congratulations on taking the plunge and getting a donor bike, it's an interesting and rewarding experience building your own Triking and incorporating your own ideas and preferences as you build it. Great advice from Tony (Westendguzzi) too about riding it around a bit etc before stripping it down and prepping the bits.

Depending upon your workshop/garage space it could be worth just getting the chassis initially as there is quite a lot to do such as drilling bracket holes for brake/fuel pipes, wiring loom and possibly a recess in the tunnel for the clutch foot. You also need to work out where to put the various EFI bits such as ECU, Coils etc. On the early injection models there are several modules that need locating, some people use the glovebox for those and the main loom fuse boxes, other like myself have made up trays or shelves. On both my builds I had a bare chassis which I did all the work on such as welding "captive" nuts to the tunnel for the brackets etc and then had it powder coated. It's also worth thinking about how you'll get to service items such as the fuel filters or replacement like the fuel pump when it's fully built and locating accordingly.

Feel free to ask on the forum and there are a wealth of articles in the technical section too..

Good luck! Dave

Skeomorph

Post by Skeomorph » Tue May 25, 2021 10:56 pm

Thanks Westendguzzi and Peakrock.

Unfortunately riding the donor isn't an option for me as I'm not licensed for such a big 2 wheeler. Kind of pleased about that as it's a beast and certainly not for a novice! Although I can't ride the bike, it seems to make the right noises and none of the wrong ones, exhausts are the right colour etc. I think the only real attention the engine needs is a good clean and respray, but that probably needs a thread of its own when the time comes.

In the mean time, it's back to looking at the parts list to work out what I need and also want.

Thanks.
Attachments
20210525_135042_compress41.jpg

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Wed May 26, 2021 6:05 am

Well done,
Looks like a good start. I don't know how far away from SG18 you are but I have a T3 on the ramps almost at the end of the build. Just the tub top capping to upholster. You are welcome to come and have a look.
All the best
Richard

Skeomorph

Post by Skeomorph » Thu May 27, 2021 9:58 am

Thanks for the offer Richard, that would be really useful. You are a bit too far to just 'pop over', but maybe I can find an excuse to head in that direction! If I do, I'll contact you by PM.

Thanks.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Thu May 27, 2021 2:19 pm

Certainly.

Skeomorph

Post by Skeomorph » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:57 pm

Hi Richard,

I'd like to say a very big Thank You to you and your wife for being so friendly and generous with your time when I visited you a couple of days ago. Thank you for patiently answering all my questions and sharing your ideas and of course, my first ride in a Triking :D.

Your Type 3 nearing completion is really nice, I hope I can achieve such an impressive standard of build when my turn comes.
Cheers!

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:59 am

Thank you Andrew, it was a pleasure.

Skeomorph

Post by Skeomorph » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:51 am

Bringing this thread to a close, I'm really excited to say I've now ordered a kit! Thanks to all who shared their advice, especially Richard. I apologise now for the inevitable questions that will begin in the New Year...

Andy.