New member somewhere in UK

Weg

New member somewhere in UK

Post by Weg » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:47 am

Welcome to the forum Skeomorph.

Skeomorph

Re: New member somewhere in UK

Post by Skeomorph » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:47 pm

Thank you westendguzzi and hello to the forum from sunny Berkshire!

I'm not currently a Triking owner but am seriously considering becoming a member of this exclusive group. I remember seeing a picture of the original car on the cover of a kit car magazine in about 1979/1980 and have wanted one ever since :D

At the moment I'm wondering if I would see building a car all the way to the end. I think the end result would keep me motivated, but did anyone else have such doubts before taking the plunge?

Next decision is Type 3 or Type 4; I really like the 'cosyness' of the '3, but I like the availability of he carc bikes and their 6 speed gearboxes. OTOH, I'm not keen on the look of the newer engines... how vain am I?

Lots still to ponder...

S.

Weg

Post by Weg » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:04 pm

It all depends on you.
Over 16 stone, go for a T4
Under 13 a T3 fits snugly.
There are still twin shock Guzzis out there suitable as a donor for T3 but are becoming scarce. Better putting that longitudinal crankshaft in a 3 wheeler (all that torque lean is not sensible on 2 wheels). Buy one now while you still can.

There are lots of threads on this and the old forum that give a very thorough grounding of how to build.

Come on Reverse Trike owners, let’s hear a strong case for investing lots of time and some money into a project that will give tremendous pleasure.
Tony

Skeomorph

Post by Skeomorph » Sat May 08, 2021 9:12 pm

Well people aren't rushing to convince me I must build a car! Just as well I don't think it's necessary :)

I get the point about the size of the two versions, I'm certainly on the lighter side of 13 stone and felt the Type 4 was very roomy - not the feeling I want ideally. I've decided to see if I can find a suitable California donor first and let that make the decision for me. What's the consensus on the upper limit on mileage for the donor?

Thanks.

Weg

Post by Weg » Mon May 10, 2021 9:52 am

The California engine is well engineered, agricultural some may say.
Regular oil and filter changes are more relevant than total mileage.
Relatively simple construction allows for easy complete overhaul if necessary, with spares readily available.

The gearbox is even more agricultural with no synchromesh, smooth gear changes are an art. Occasional need for re-shimming of the selector barrel if selection is not positive. Fixable by a competent owner/tractor mechanic.

A perfect example is probably desirable as a bike, reflected in the price. A tatty one is still worth an overhaul.
Good luck
Tony

Skeomorph

Post by Skeomorph » Mon May 10, 2021 12:56 pm

Thanks Westendguzzi, that's exactly the kind of advice I need. I was suspecting the engines would be easy to rebuild but I've never pulled a gearbox apart before... I feel more confident looking at the more used examples I've seen advertised.

Cheers.

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Mon May 10, 2021 3:36 pm

I echo what Tony said about the California engine, on both my builds the engine had done about 36,000 miles - it seems most bikes don't do anywhere near the mileage the engine is capable of but I have read of people who've done 100,000 + miles. On both my engines I just changed oil and filter and they ran sweet as anything after a couple of hundred miles (they'd both not been run for 12 months +)

I also reshimmed the gearbox selector on my current Triking and I have to say it changes as sweet as a nut (for a Guzzi box). You can actually feel what's going on as you change gear and ease it into the new gear. Change downs are astonishingly good compared with my previous box too but it isn't the easiest of jobs unless you have access to the special tools... I did write an article about it for Trifles but can't remember if it appeared or not..

Dave

Skeomorph

Post by Skeomorph » Mon May 10, 2021 4:36 pm

Well I'm off to look at a bike with about 40K on the clock tomorrow. My biker friends have given me the impression this is astronomical in bike terms so I was wondering if I might be wasting my time. I'm happy to capitalise on bikers prejudices though!

Skeomorph

Post by Skeomorph » Mon May 10, 2021 5:26 pm

Sorry for replying to my own post, however I Googled the issue of selector drum shimming. Dr Google kindly offered the following document that someone might find useful:

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzitech ... -tools.pdf

Apologies if this a well known resource for all things Guzzi.

S.

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Tue May 11, 2021 3:23 pm

Thanks for finding this - extremely informative !