tool kit

Simon.gk

tool kit

Post by Simon.gk » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:28 pm

Over the past decades I have collected a range of tools in dealing with ancient Austin 7s, Morris minors, minis, a 1934 Alvis and even a WW2 1 ton Bedford truck.
In recent years it has been more about motorcycles but has involved anything from an old tractor to snowblowers.
As I get ready to move house and also welcome our 1984 Triking I am wondering what to keep that may be relevant or vital. Do I need Whitworth, UNC/UNF, AF etc or is it all metric? Guidance would be much appreciated.
To go with this is there such a thing as a torque sheet listing the various parts.
Based upon my Lotus, is there an approved jacking method and is it common to carry a puncture kit, tubed and tubeless I assume.
Thanks in advance, stay safe

colinc

Re: tool kit

Post by colinc » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:09 pm

Hi Simon,

I can help with some of your questions on the basis of my experience with an ongoing T4 build.

I asked about torque settings and Alan advised me to apply standard ones based on nut size. The Guzzi bits do have torque settings and these are listed in the service manual which are available for download online.

As regards jacking that's not something I'd thought about, but then again mine is still on its build cradle! I would suggest there are various chassis members around the engine for the fronts and at the rear in the centre (where rear suspension mounts) that seem, to me at least are easily up for the job especially as its light - even by Lotus standards. There is also way more accessible structural metalwork than you'll find under a Lotus as well. Small block of wood probably a good idea, but more to avoid cosmetic damage to the powder coat / under-seal than anything else.

I'm running tubules tyres and although, once again, its not something I'd previously considered I'll probably carry a can of tyre puncture repair gunk.

What Lotus do you have? I've just swapped an Excel I've owned for the last 20years for an Esprit.

Spaniard

Re: tool kit

Post by Spaniard » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:38 pm

I have a Type 3 I built a few years ago so I can only this one. A 1984 Type 1 might be different in the hardware department.

Everything on my Triking is metric except for the rear caliper mounting bolts which are UNF. All the hardware for everything else that is supplied by Alan was metric and at the Guzzi engine is all metric. All the hardware that I have supplied is metric as I didn't want a mix of tools in my tool kit. Like I mentioned before, the rear brake caliper mounting bolts and the bleed nipple are the only exception. Curiously the front wheel spoke nipples on the port side are different size than the starboard side. I don't remember exactly the difference but noticed it after a few years of driving and was checking spoke tension. I have a bastard child Norton Commando that is a mix of UNF/UNC, metric and whitworth. Its a bit of a mess to work on.

The first time I took my Type 3 for a shake down drive I didn't have a tool kit with me and guess what I needed? Luckily someone stopped asked if I needed something and he lived nearby and came back with some tools. Took him for a drive after a quick fix which he thoroughly enjoyed.

Ivan