New member in West Yorkshire

Weg

New member in West Yorkshire

Post by Weg » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:09 am

Warm welcome to our newest member JRB in West Yorks.

Richard and Pat

Re: New member in West Yorkshire

Post by Richard and Pat » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:53 pm

Welcome JRB.

JRB

Post by JRB » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:44 am

Thank you for the friendly greeting, much appreciated.
I'm on the cusp of ordering a vehicle. I'm mobile, active not overweight, and can get around without using a walking stick. However, I will be 80 years old in a month's time. Could you tell me whether climbing in and out of a Triking presents any difficulties?

Weg

Post by Weg » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:54 am

Good luck Jr, you will get your youth back :o
Are you going to build or buy a completed car?
Key item to make access easier is a detachable steering wheel. Provided your joints bend in all the right places, you will be fine.
Best thing is to try sitting in one. There are owners close to you, so when restrictions are eased, perhaps someone will oblige.
Tony

JRB

Post by JRB » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:19 am

Thanks for the advice about the steering wheel. Post-Covid-19, I'll seek out an owner to let me sit in one. Good idea.
Though, long ago, I did an engineering apprenticeship, my intention is to buy a completed car, because:
(a) my wife is sceptical about it ever being completed, and
(b) I wish to spend my remaining time on travel, not travail.

John (JRB)

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:35 am

There is a method that is used by most to extricate themselves from the driving seat: remove steering wheel if it makes it easier; bring knees back; lifting on body side with one hand and rear of tub with other place first buttock on the transmission tunnel; move heels to chassis bar in front of seat and lift again to place both buttocks on the rear to one side; lift first leg over then second. Voilà you are free to collect papers from the shop without standing on the nice leather seat squabs.

JRB

Post by JRB » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:24 pm

Thank you for the clear advice.

PaulW

Post by PaulW » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:17 pm

Welcome (Willkommen!) John from the Triking Owners in Germany. Richard's advice is very comprehensive and the only aspect I would add is the relative importance of having fit and mobile shoulders. I say this as someone who was forced to have both shoulders (one at a time) operated on some years ago as a result of too much sport in my youth, and only after such an op do you realise how much you need good shoulder mobility to be able to push yourself upwards in the various stages of the procedure Richard described.

Apart from that one thing is for sure ... you will absolutely love your Triking!

JRB

Post by JRB » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:00 pm

Paul:
Vielen Danke fur Ihren Brief!
And that's all of my terrible German that I'll inflict on you today.
You kind note epitomises the problem that all we Brits experience when we put in time to learn a little German; you are so good at English that you make our efforts seem pointless.
Concerning your advice, I think my shoulders are okay, thanks, but now I'll aware now of your warning.
BiS dann,
John

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:43 pm

Hello, John - I think the main thing is to have the strength in your arms and shoulders to raise your body up high enough to get your leg over the side. I'm 78 , and probably in about the same condition as you, and am currently assuming that in a couple of years I'll still be able to do it. I'd say "Go for it !"

Eric