From a workshop in rural Norfolk...

Oily

Re: From a workshop in rural Norfolk...

Post by Oily » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:58 pm

Superb job!

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:01 am

Attention has now turned to the interior trimming and in line with the philosophy of doing as much as possible myself (or making things as hard as possible) I've just finished the cockpit surround and the side panels. I bought a nice set of secondhand seats from a fellow Triking owner and a length of matching blue vinyl from Triking. The cockpit surround was certainly a challenge and even allowing for the stretch-ability of vinyl I had to put in a number of triangular pieces to negotiate the compound curves. I did it in stages as you can see in the photos. I thought the armrests are likely to get the most wear and tear so made them replaceable separately, they also have extra padding for comfort. 3+ tins of Evostik later I'm fairly happy with the result.
cockpit1.jpg
cockpit2.jpg
cockpit3.jpg
It was then onto the side panels with elasticated pockets (of course!). These were also "fun", I sewed lots of strips of vinyl together to make the pockets and then had to stretch elastic strip out and sew it to the pockets such that when released they would contract. Fortunately the messy stitching is mostly hidden by the fabric folds. I wasn't sure how the factory holds the side panels in place but had some self drilling/tapping flange screws so used these through the panel and into the steel frame. They're such good fixings I only needed 4 per side and I think they look ok. Overall, this is what the interior looks like now, just waiting for the transmission tunnel cover which I think I'm going to do or have done in a silver vinyl as I rather like the contrast...
cockpit4.jpg

Weg

Post by Weg » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:21 am

Impressive work Dave.
Because I had some warning lights mounted in the dash below the straight line of the chassis, I had to cut the transmission tunnel in half, just forward of the gear levers so out of sight, to make it possible to get it on and off, over the gear levers. Your dash is straight at the bottom so this won't apply to yours.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:22 am

Wow, what a great effort there Dave, worth Blue Peter badge at least [several actually].
Well done.

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:28 pm

Awesome work, Dave - you're quite a seamstress !

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:19 pm

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I'll steal my youngest son's Blue Peter badge Richard and wear that!

Cheers Dave

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:51 am

Roxy (yes I've christened the Triking!) has passed the MSVA test first time, here is a pic at the Norwich testing station.
MSVA-test.jpg
So, it's now time for the finishing off jobs, in this case a rear mudguard. After a lot of hunting around I think I've found the ideal mudguard which is off an Ifor Williams Trailer - the code is C72716 if anyone is interested. It fits nicely between the rear shocks and is more than long enough, it's got sides to it, is made of ABS plastic and isn't that expensive either £21.60 + shipping from my supplier.
Mudguard-3.jpg
I cut it in half and also took a small section out of it. The front half is permanently attached to the chassis, the rear half hinges up to make rear wheel removal easier. I used a solid brass door hinge from the "it will come in handy one day bin" bolted through the mudguard with plates underneath to spread the load and rear stays that can be easily unbolted to allow it to hinge up, photos probably show it better...
Mudguard-1.jpg
Mudguard-2.jpg

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:23 pm

Brilliant job Dave, you’ve certainly taken on work I wouldn’t have tried. 👍

colinc

Post by colinc » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:34 pm

Looks great. Must be nice to have the mvsa under your belt. Look forward to seeing the finished item some day

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:53 pm

Today's update is from two workshops in rural Norfolk, mine and Triking - aka Al & Nicki's with a photo showing the completed interior. I had to modify the cockpit surround as I'd forgotten the right hand front corner needs to be cut back to clear the windscreen bracket. For some reason I kept putting it off and focused on other jobs such as installing the wiper motor and mechanism, windscreen washers and the windscreen itself. I asked Al to supply me with a slightly lower profile glass in keeping with the overall look I'm trying to achieve. The windscreen was a fairly simple exercise to fit following Al's guidance though the inevitable odd bit of excess sealant has a habit of going everywhere - latex gloves recommended plus kitchen roll and white spirit. After putting it off as long as I could i modified the cockpit surround and put the rest of the interior together including the super tunnel cover that Nicki made especially for me.
Tunnel1s.jpg
It's in really thick vinyl so will stand up to wear and tear very well and I think it contrasts nicely with the blue vinyl and compliments the aluminum checker plate. I'm now ready for the road as soon as the registration comes through - look out for a coastal photoshoot!