Triking Propshaft

felixgogo

Triking Propshaft

Post by felixgogo » Sun May 26, 2019 3:57 am

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here, still in my pre decision basis, I was seriously thinking about a M3W, but after a lot of reading on the internet about reliability and engine balance, I have started to look much more seriously at a Triking.

On to my question, I did look around but couldn't find this. On the Morgan, I understand there is a Centra coupling from the gearbox to a bevel box then a drive belt to the rear wheel. This allows the drive to go straight through the car and then side step to the rear wheel.

On an Ace cyclecar, there is a Honda drive shaft, which runs through the cabin at an angle, forcing the seats to be different sizes, and a big reason why Morgan changed the design for the UK market.

I understand the Triking uses the Moto Guzzi driveshaft, but how is this kept 'straight' through the car? It needs to end up at the side of the rear wheel. I also assume the drive shaft has to be lengthened from its motorbike arrangement?

Sorry - 2 questions! Thanks in advance!

Weg

Re: Triking Propshaft

Post by Weg » Sun May 26, 2019 8:36 am

Welcome to The Forum Felix.
Good choice of kit as you can tailor your build to fit you.
The Triking, using the Guzzi engine, gearbox and final bevel box, has an offset propsaft from gearbox to bevel box. The rear wheel is set about 20mm to the left.
This means that with rhd the driver has a bit less room than the passenger.
You can get a ‘good sized’ adult in that space, who is held in place, giving the ultimate driving experience.
With lhd you can have an even bigger driver but just a ‘good sized’ passenger.
Perhaps you can choose which side in Hong Kong.

You can have a long propshaft without reverse gear, or fit the reversing gearbox halfway back with 2 shorter shafts. Puts the cost up but well worth fitting.
Tony

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sun May 26, 2019 10:03 am

Welcome Felix,
Are you local to Bedford or Norfolk?
Take a look at the type 4. The type four has more room for both seat and feet than the previous types 1,2 & 3 and the M3W. It is the same size both sides of the cockpit, the off set being taken care of in the slightly wider chassis and you can use one of the larger engine donors if you wish. Also it is possible to use more of the bike leaving money in the pot for a reverse gear box. The ease of entry and exit of a Type 4 would deem it to be easier to use without reverse. HOWEVER considering the control, safety and resale value of a Triking with reverse box it really must be considered carefully.
If you would like to read a Triking drivers 'write up' in the Owners Club newsletter do send you email address to trikingowners @ gmail.com [no spaces]and I'll attach one as a PDF.
Other types: there are UJ's in place and shorter prop shafts available.
Good hunting Felix.
Richard

felixgogo

Post by felixgogo » Sun May 26, 2019 2:14 pm

Richard, Tony,

Many thanks gents for your swift and detailed replies. Apologies, I meant to put my real name in the post, and forgot - my user-name is not a true reflection of my actual name! Anyway, I understand better now the drivetrain arrangement;

Engine, Gearbox, Short driveshaft, Reverse Box, Short driveshift, hub. Or
Engine, Gearbox, Long driveshaft, hub (No reverse).

And that the rear wheel is slightly offset to help the arrangement.

When I'm not working in Hong Kong, home is Leicestershire, so either Bedford or Norfolk is not a huge step, so I'll get in contact and arrange a viewing / meeting if that's acceptable?

The more I read, the more I'm convinced that the naturally balanced Guzzi engine and drivetrain is a positive advantage over the HD or SS close angle engines.

Best Regards
Ian

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sun May 26, 2019 4:27 pm

You are welcome to visit Ian,
I am building a Type 3 at present and run a Type 2 at the moment. For the Type 4 you will need to go to Norfolk.
You are correct in your point about the 'V' angle of the respective engines too.
Best wishes
Richard

felixgogo

Post by felixgogo » Tue May 28, 2019 2:25 pm

Thanks Richard - that's most kind - I'll get in touch nearer the time to arrange.

Thanks again,
Ian

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Fri May 31, 2019 9:17 pm

I did send some details Ian,

But I see they are still in my Outbox.

All the best
Richard

colinc

Post by colinc » Fri May 31, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi Ian,

I’ll be in Hong Kong soon. If you want to meet up to talk all things trike building be great.

Can’t private message you because forum won’t let me? but my email is colin.chapman4@me.com

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:41 pm

After removing and replacing the front driveshaft and bearing I didn’t notice I’d not fitted it exactly in the place it was originally. Driving the car I notice I had far more rumble at low speed from the front UJ area. I jacked the car and noticed the UJ was slightly out of line. I loosened the bolts off and slackened the bearing collar allen screws and levered the bearing back into the original position. Another drive down the road and noise gone. The pictures show before and after adjustment. It’s well worth checking the alignment if you are experiencing similar annoying noises.
Attachments
99D0B82E-E2E1-4D23-8E83-A18911567FBE.png
7C45BE82-7F37-4E42-BF50-762F65B07ECE.png

Oleg

Post by Oleg » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:58 am

Thanks. Good tip to pass on. You would think that as there is a UJ alignment would not be quite so critical. However in the area of the car which amplifies all sounds and vibration I agree and have found the straightest running is defiantly best.