A-FRAME TOWING

Weg

A-FRAME TOWING

Post by Weg » Thu May 09, 2019 10:25 am

I have decided, using my infinite wisdom and after consulting the article by Adam Wilkins in the Stoneleigh 2019 edition of CompleteKitCar, various manufacturers, etc. and
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... an-a-frame,
NOT TO TOW my Triking using an A-Frame, unless in a breakdown emergency situation.

The law states, that when using an A-frame, the towed car then becomes a trailer.
Even though under 750kg, brakes are fitted to the car so they must be working.
This is possible to implement but at great expense. Not justifiable for the limited number of uses it would get.

My key deciding factor is that if not compliant with the law, insurance would probably be invalidated for both the tow car and the Triking in the event of an accident. Not prepared to take that risk.

Richard and Pat

Re: A-FRAME TOWING

Post by Richard and Pat » Thu May 09, 2019 12:13 pm

You could make a good trailer from a caravan chassis Tony.

Weg

Post by Weg » Thu May 09, 2019 2:12 pm

Yes I could.
Could also built a purpose designed trailer to carry a Triking but it would probably need type approval. Another insurance 'let's catch the owner out' clause.
Then there would be the problem of parking it somewhere in Yorkshire with other trailers.
For this year, we will drive Edith to gatherings/events.

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Thu May 09, 2019 2:47 pm

That’s what I like to hear, someone who wants to drive his Triking rather than trailering it, isn’t it why we built this amazing vehicles in the first place?😉😀

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Thu May 09, 2019 7:04 pm

I will be trailering though.

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Fri May 10, 2019 9:39 am

That's a pity Tony. Given that the Triking handbrake is cable operated and that most trailers use an overrun coupling to pull on the trailer brakes, what about a simple cable running back from the coupling under the Triking to the rear brake? It could have a small maillon at the end of the cable to clip onto an appropriate part on the rear brake so it's easily removed. You might need to fabricate a small lever etc for it to attach to but I would say that it meets the letter of the law - probably enough to satisfy the average policeman if they should ever stop you other than for a complimentary chat!

Dave

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Fri May 10, 2019 9:43 am

Ok, forget my previous post - I just read the relevant document and it says all brakes on the towed vehicle must work...

Dave

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Fri May 10, 2019 3:37 pm

How about a removable cable that goes directly to the brake pedal - at least it's something to show the policeman when you're stopped.

Weg

Post by Weg » Fri May 10, 2019 6:15 pm

Engineering wise, it’s all possible.
There is a company that makes a hitch that operates a Bowden cable that can then be connected to the brake pedal. I’m looking into that.
The big risk assessment is not with PC Plod but with the insurance company.
I’ve run the risk since my first build and never been challenged.

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Fri May 10, 2019 9:13 pm

The regulations also say that if it becomes detached, the car plus trailer must "retain some residual steering" - what on earth does that mean (other than wife in towed vehicle and behind the wheel) ?