colinc

Post by colinc » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:58 pm

Hello one and all, Deposit for a type 4 paid this morning so will be joining the Triking ranks at some point in the future!

If anyone has any hints and tips on donor bikes (was going to get a Norge) also Jefferies ECU which I was going to get and try out or anything else for that matter be great to hear from you

Richard and Pat

Re: Newbie

Post by Richard and Pat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:21 pm

Hey, great news another 'local' Trikingista, welcome Colinc. I am building a type 3 at present, a few things are similar if you want to have a look. Biggleswade.

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:53 am

Hi Colinc, I'm just south of Norwich so not too far up the road either. I've got a Type 2 on the road and have started building a Type 3, I also built a Jeffries ECU for my Type 2 but am mostly on the original ECU as it seems to work well enough - maybe I'll invest the time to get the mapping sorted out properly this year !

Feel free to get in touch

Dave

Weg

Post by Weg » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Welcome Colin.
I'm in your county so come for a chat and a jolly, on a fine day is best!

ollie22orrex

Post by ollie22orrex » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Not a newbie yet but have spoken and been to see Alan a few times trying to convince myself I can build a Triking.The mechanical side I can break into smaller stages so it's not so daunting but the electrical side of the build seems very complex even after reading about this on the old forum.It is heartening to see so much help out there. I want to buld a type 3 but this doesn't seem the right time to buy a donor bike and I'm wondering if there are going to be any California's at the right price November time.

Weg

Post by Weg » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:49 am

We'll call you Ollie, don't be daunted by the electrics. Using a Triking wiring loom with correct colour wires, backed up with a wiring diagram, you can do it. Have confidence.

colinc

Post by colinc » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:20 am

Hi there and thanks to everyone who has responded. Will surely take up the kind offers.

Ollie, of course I’m not in a great place to comment having not actually built anything yet BUT agree with westendguzzi when I also say “go for it”. If there is one aspect of the build I’m not worried about it’s the electrics (some other bits though.....). Anyway happily help if I can

jtdesign

Post by jtdesign » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:50 am

Hi Colin,
there are a few things to think about when choosing a donor bike.
Firstly there are two-valve and eight-valve engines. Pre 2008 they will be 2-valve, Stelvios will all be 8-valve (they are called 4-valve, but that is just to confuse), and Norges, Sports and Grisos could be either. The rocker covers are different so it is quite easy to spot what is what in photographs.
If you get an early 8-valve engine (pre 2012/2013) then beware of the DLC flat tappets which MUST be replaced with roller tappets. If this has not been done, factor in another £1000 for a roller tappet kit.
Gearbox ratios are different - Norge and Sport models have higher ratio primary gears than Griso and Stelvio and may be more suitable for a Triking.
My understanding is that the Jeffries ECU replaces the Marelli 15M. All of the CARC bikes (and the Type 4 Triking) use the Marelli 5AM ecu which is not compatible with the 15M. I have new ECU maps available for the 2-valve and 8-valve engines which are suitable for the T4 Triking which you can program in yourself with a suitable USB cable (about £20) and a laptop. I suggest you go down this route instead. New (and hopefully improved) maps are being developed.

Good luck with the build, John