Passed inspection

Spaniard

Passed inspection

Post by Spaniard » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:21 pm

Just passed inspection yesterday. The state trooper was very professional and seen like a genuinely nice guy.

He looked over the Type 3 and went through his check list and gave it the thumbs up. When he was all done he said “ man that thing is really cool”. I offered to take him for a ride and he said he would love to if it was warm out.

Still have to wait for the state to issue a title and registration but the hard part is over.
Attachments
3AE96D33-9D03-4B00-8086-FEE4D2AEE132.jpeg
A277467F-FDC2-488A-89BF-595C57620508.jpeg
647A0B96-47D2-44C2-9546-765F172DFC05.jpeg

Weg

Re: Passed inspection

Post by Weg » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:45 pm

Well done. Pictures look great. The fun starts soon! :D

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 pm

Excellent progress.

Oleg

Post by Oleg » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:36 am

Super Job! Congratulations.

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:41 am

I’m intrigued, the police department sends a state trooper out to do the checks on the car and then authorises the registration? It sounds a great deal easier than the rigmarole we go through. Anyway, the car looks great, enjoy👍

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:56 pm

The way it works in Wisconsin is:

1. Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles

2. Explain what you are doing and they put you in touch with a specialty dept. They send you a registration form to fill out. It asks for make, model, year, etc. Replica, kit car, home made, vintage, etc. Because it has three wheels it is a motorcycle and motorcycle kits are considered home made.

3. Fill out the form. Send it in along with pictures of the vehicle from every side, "Bill of Sale" from kit, title from donor vehicle, and a cover letter explaining what you have and are trying to do. Also send in payment for all fees required and sales tax.

4. Wait for a reply. I received a letter with a file number, stating based on the info provided and pictures, the vehicle would be classified as a home made motorcycle. I would need to schedule an inspection to verify serial number and to make sure that the motorcycle meets all requirements. Lights, exhaust, indicator, etc.
They provide you with a list of inspection sites and you contact the one that is closest to you.

5. Contact certified inspector. In my case it was a State Trooper and they had a location close to me. It was a auto repair service station that had a space set up for the Trooper to perform inspections. Not all State Troopers are certified to perform these inspections.

6. Trailer the vehicle to inspection site and have it inspected.

7. Once the inspector/ Trooper signs off on the inspection and VIN verification and verifies the motorcycle meets all current state DMV codes and Dept of Transportation codes the paperwork is sent back to the DMV where they may issue a title and registration. Ultimately its up to the State to decide whether they will issue a title. The inspector just verifies that it is what you say it is and meets all regs.

8. Insure Triking and enjoy.

The fact that it is a motorcycle is a big plus. If it was a car it would be much more difficult.

I brought in the Triking without a windshield because the state requires wipers and washer fluid if it has a windshield. It does not however require a windshield, so if no wind shield then no wipers and washer fluid. The strange thing is the Morgan Three wheeler, Polaris Slingshot and the Vanderhall Venice all have windshields of some sort and don't have wipers. Not sure how they get around that.

The other strange requirement the law states is a requirement for a rear bumper. The other three also don't have that and not sure how they get away with it. The Morgan is the only one of the threes that falls under the 1500 lbs max weight for a Type 2 (three wheeled) motorcycle.

I am sure it is much more difficult for you in the UK to get them registered. Here in the US there are big rusty piles of junk cars that should never be on the road, still driving around. Go figure.

Can't wait for real drive. I have been doing quick little drives up and down my local country road with no traffic.

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:26 pm

We also don’t put the windscreen on the car until after the check; however, if it was just wipers and screen wash it wouldn’t be a problem, but they also want screen demisters which is a useless addition to the build.
The info you’ve given on the procedure to get the Triking registered will be useful for other USA builders; however, I guess each state has it’s own rules you have to conform to.
Let’s hope you’re on the road soon, because, the first time you drive it officially on the road, if you’re anything like me you’ll have a grin on your face that will be impossible to remove.👍

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:22 pm

Hear, hear.