Oil pressure sensor location

Wizzle

Oil pressure sensor location

Post by Wizzle » Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:20 pm

Evening all

I’d like to fit an oil pressure gauge, so I’m looking for a likely spot on an 8v engine to plumb in the sender. I was originally aiming for the oil cooler plumbing, but Alan tells me there’s a thermostat in the sump that diverts in / out of the cooler, so that is less than ideal. Obviously the sump isn’t pressurised, so I can’t use the hole for the fan switch (kindly identified by John!) - has anybody found a suitable place for one?

Perhaps it’s not entirely necessary, but years of tractors and an old Jag mean I rather rely on oil pressure as a health check!

Throwley

Re: Oil pressure sensor location

Post by Throwley » Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:44 am

I don't really know my way round 8V engines, but isn't there an oil pressure switch located between the cylinders (a mate of mine has a blocked switch and had to half dismantle his Norge to get to it)? That's just a yes/no switch which feeds a warning light, a pressure sensor could replace that.

Wizzle

Re: Oil pressure sensor location

Post by Wizzle » Fri Sep 06, 2024 4:37 pm

Thanks Throwley - I don’t know my way round the 8v either…

Your suggestion makes the most sense, so I was hoping someone would pop up and suggest a suitable replacement, but it seems not! I’ll pull out the original and have a fiddle tomorrow!