New Member Nova Scotia

Weg

New Member Nova Scotia

Post by Weg » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:47 pm

Warm welcome to Simon.gk in chilly Canada.

Simon.gk

Re: New Member Nova Scotia

Post by Simon.gk » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:10 pm

Hi Everyone
Thank you for the welcome, it has taken a while to get here.
The short story is that I looked at building a Triking back in 1982 but it was not a practical idea with a recent emigration to Canada, a wife and 2 small children and you know how it goes.
I have been a long time biker that included a ten year affair with a Moto Guzzi LeMans 3 that I have always regretted selling.
Upon retirement I was using the BMW RT1200 less and less when I was shown an immaculate 1993 Caterham 7 HPC. With less than 10k miles it has recently been liberated from long term storage and was completely original and immaculate. This was the number 1 vehicle on my bucket list and, eventually, I bought it. I then had to learn how to drive it and look after it. Mixing with the local british car club members, I had come across the most lovely Triking and it confirmed that a Triking was number 2 on my list. Whenever I saw the car, I always talked to the owner and, eventually we agreed that I could have first refusal if the opportunity should ever arise.
Sadly, on a rainy afternoon in May, I was stopped at a T junction when an oncoming Hyundai, with a cell phone using driver, decided to leave her road and drive over me, finishing parked on top both the car and myself. Miraculously I was unhurt but Marigold was a right-off. I had convince all who saw the accident scene that I had actually been the driver as the general assumption was that no one could have done so.
Once the dust settled and I had accepted that Marigold was no more and that it was pretty much impossible to replace her, I asked if the Triking was for sale. No, it was not but might be eventually, was the answer so, sadly I keep looking for another Caterham or Lotus 7. While idly googling I had entered Lotus when a Lotus Elise popped up, basically the grown ups' version of a 7 and after another saga joined the family.
Typically, while on a road trip in the Lotus I got a call from the Triking owner asking if I was still interested. Sleepless nights followed but the owner was patient as he knew I had bonded with his car.
Amidst the lock-downs due to Covid and Canadian winters I eventually persuaded my long suffering wife to go and look and the deal is now agreed.
The Lotus is for sale and the Triking is waiting, warm and cosy in its garage, until the spring. I cannot wait.

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:55 pm

Sad news about the Caterham 7, one of my favourite cars, good to here you came out of the accident ok, these sort of cars don’t give to much protection from big tin tops.
Don’t forget to post some pictures of your Triking, and welcome to the Triking family 😀

Weg

Post by Weg » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:21 pm

You have struck lucky finding a Triking in Canada, there is another one in Calgary.
Be patient, your long suffering wife will love it.
Best wishes for future enjoyment.
Tony

Simon.gk

Post by Simon.gk » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:24 pm

I was so excited about finally becoming a Triking owner that my fingers sort of got away from me, so sorry for that.
I have been telling the story to family and friends and trying to explain why I am swopping a Lotus Elise for a Triking.
I already have a ton of questions on the care and maintenance but found that I already had an original owners manual from 1984 hidden in the digital archives and have now acquired a Guzzi manual.
As you say, not too many of us in Canada but that was true of the Caterham.
Attachments
batans meet.jpg

Doverhay

Post by Doverhay » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:34 pm

Looks great, it will be different from the Caterham and Elise but in a good way, you’ll get the rush of speed within the speed limits. Enjoy.

Weg

Post by Weg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:37 pm

Superb T1, congratulations.
Will I have to move the pin in the 'Triking World Map'?

steveO

Post by steveO » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:21 pm

Welcome from Calgary. Surprised Neil let it go lol
Steve

Simon.gk

Post by Simon.gk » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:30 pm

I live about 30 kms from the present owner so it will depend on the accuracy of the map. I would like to look at the map but am unsure of how to access it.
The present owner is only selling to help with his ongoing rebuild, I was in the right place and time. It is amazing condition as he is the most picky of owners. Hopefully he will be able to keep myself and the Triking on the straight and narrow.

Weg

Post by Weg » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:52 pm

To find the TRIKING WORLD MAP......
Quick links (top left of page)
Click on Triking world Map
Takes you to a link to the map (right click and open in new page)
Hope you find it.