Keep the Forum Going.

Weg

Keep the Forum Going.

Post by Weg » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:35 pm

Here's a relevant topic from the old forum in 2018.

http://forum.trikingsportscars.co.uk/fo ... orum-going

Not everyone wants to be involved with social media.

Lowpass

Re: Keep the Forum Going.

Post by Lowpass » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:47 am

Ok, got it. I have gotten lazy and have been mainly posting to the Facebook page.

Here's an auction in Florida that is coming up on Sunday. Rare to see Trikings up for sale this side of the pond.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/1103300/2003 ... d=543098-0

New dash for my T1 to be completed shortly. Will post both places.

Simon.gk

Post by Simon.gk » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:57 pm

Hi
I log in most days as the forum provides a great deal of information as well as help. I have just made the leap to WhatsApp following a week of driving an Ape' or Tuktuk around northern Italy but that is another story. The short answer is Italy, wonderful, nearly 1000kms in a Tuktuk, not so good.
This is as close to social media as I wish to get so I do hope that others continue to read and contribute.
Happy New Year from Nova Scotia. Regards, Simon

steveO

Post by steveO » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:59 pm

Hi,

1985 Series one.

I am restoring an MGB (1975) and belong to MGExperience forum. This is a very busy forum with many members and a very long history.

The big difference is some 500,000 MGBs were built, but lets say 500 Trikings.
Therein lies the difference in forum traffic.

I look at the Triking forum everyday I find it informative and a sense of belonging (although pretty
lonelier in west Canada). In general most forums are contributed by a small number of individuals and thanks to them. Also one has to be aware that most conversations are about problems!

The forum keeps one in touch with those that have done it before and is a great source of knowledge especially if you link to the old forum. I an very experienced in all things old British car, but nothing beats reading what somebody else has done before and the pit falls found.

I also find the season of year impacts traffic.

My own contributions have declined as my Series one rebuild is complete or as they say in Harley speak only another $3000 to go.

I do look at the facebook page, but that site is so full of other junk its annoying. I do belong to the Triking group.

I hope for all of us the forum survives.

Steve in Calgary

EricStarmer

Post by EricStarmer » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:09 pm

I posted that original comment almost 6 years ago, and, looking back, I can see that I was maybe a little pessimistic, as the Forum is still here, although it's still pretty much the same half dozen or so people as back then - this doesn't bode well for the future though, as I think most of them (us) are getting on in years. As SteveO says, most of the postings on here are about Triking problems, and I'm wondering if Alan is selling a much larger proportion of "turn-key" Trikings as opposed to kits these days, so people don't have the construction problems that they used to, and are just happily driving their new Triking around with no worries.
I also wonder if younger (under 60) people today are more attracted to something like a Cybertruck than a throwback to the 1930's , and Triking lovers, like tube radio afficionados and CB radio enthusiasts are literally dying out.....

Oily

Post by Oily » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:14 pm

Some interesting points from Eric here……I wonder what the ratio to kits sold against factory built is now as opposed to 10 or 15 years ago? There is also a generation now that have grown up buying, throwing away & replacing stuff rather than fixing or building something. I wonder if there is also a garage/shed shortage - are houses built nowadays with enough outside space? It’s lovely to see, over here at least, a growing enthusiasm for the minis, vw beetles etc of the 70’s being driven by younger folk and they are learning how to do their own maintenance!