Vehicle stalling

Dreamer

Vehicle stalling

Post by Dreamer » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:34 am

I was very happy that now the trike is registered and on the road after a long process with the local transport authorities. However as soon as I started using the trike and maybe after some 200kms I am encountering a problem which is leaving me stranded almost every time. I am running a California special engine with 13000kms from year 2000. We have done diagnosis and all seems good. What is happening is that I was diving and after about 5miles the car died down. The trike starts immediately. I started again and managed to return back to garage but with keeping the gas pedal static as much as possible. Since then I have checked and replaced all filters, checked fuel regulator, checked pump, TPS,CPS,ATS, all connections and relays, side stand and kill switch connections and everything which can come to mind. I have also been in regular contact with Alan and Mark and trying to figure out why this is happening. There were times when I did a 50km run without fault. Three times I ended up on tow truck. I have completely lost my confidence and I am afraid to go out as I realized how dangerous it could be when you stop abruptly. I changed plugs twice, spark plugs caps, filters etc and always the same problem. Yesterday I removed an injector and cleaned it and after putting back in place went out and same thing happened after a short distance. What could this be. Has anyone ever experienced this. Look forward to comments

Richard and Pat

Re: Vehicle stalling

Post by Richard and Pat » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:08 am

Is the hole in the filler cap blocked?
What about your pressure reading in the fuel line? It needs to be 40-42psi. It is breaking down perhaps? Are the pipe sizes from and to the tank OK i.e. not kinked or squashed?

Good luck.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:48 am

From our Facebook page today:
Les Jackson
Mmmm I had a similar problem turned out to be the wiring coming apart just as it went into to the electric petrol tap. I ended up replacing it with a manual tap. Couldn't see the problem with the wires until I wiggled them about.
Trevor Onions
Has it got electronic ignition had similar problem control box faulty
Michael Pope
Vacuum created in the fuel tank?
Release the cap before driving and again after it fails.
Henk Resink
I think it may be the ignition coil (s) or capacitors(unless you have electronic ignition from Silent Hektik)
Steve Parrish
I have come against a blockage in the fuel tank . caused by small piece of debris which was light enough to float away from the outlet, but got sucked over outlet restricting it or blocking it ,it caused the same problems you described
Just a thought
Good luck with it
Keep on revving 👍
Last edited by Richard and Pat on Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:54 am

From the Moto Guzzi Owners [UK] FB page who are speaking from Bike owning point of view:
Dev Hoz
If it does it more when warm and less when cold it could be coil packs. Otherwise I'd say it sounds like fuel flow issue. Maybe vacuum being caused in the fuel tank. Faulty breather etc. Someone had put the fuel cap back together incorrectly on my Ducati and only happened to discover it by accident. Stripped cleaned and put back together correctly and that sorted it for me. Just an example
Benjamin Combridge
I'm sorry if this sounds basic but I'd there a problem with the tank breather
Andrew Carrott
my thoughts too. I once had a problem with a twist on filler cap that only air locked when it was screwed on. You could blow through it when off.
John O Gorman
If your bike runs for a few miles, then stops, and restarts and runs for a few miles, check your fuel filter. Mine was so full of gunge that it restricted fuel supply. The Mahle type in -tank filters are small and gunge-up if you have rust in your tank. Broke my heart many times. Replace filter and clean out tank.
Graham Andrew Redgate
I had a problem very much the same and after all the obvious checks as you have done it was eventually found to be a vacuum problem with fuel in the tank.
A tank was borrowed from the dealers bike and no problem.
Original put back on and problem returned.
It’s just a possibility.
Mick Stephens
As above ' if that doesn't work, remove and clean the crank position sensor. They can pick up dirt/gung. It should come out reasonably easy, if its swollen up then replace it.
This was the problem on my 2001 EV.
Paul Roberts
I had similar symptoms. Turned out to be crankshaft sensor. Hope you find the cure.
Ian Greaves
I’d say change the pump, I know you’ve checked it but they are cheap enough. I had a similar problem with my 2001 EV and it was the pump
Mark Warrender
I'd also check the valve clearances, especially if it's more a problem when hot. Probably not that, but rule it out. Too tight and the motor will stop if it gets hot.
Last edited by Richard and Pat on Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weg

Post by Weg » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:15 pm

Had the same problem with my Pembleton, no air vent in petrol filler cap.

peakrock

Post by peakrock » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:48 pm

A fault like this can be a swine to find and fix so you have my sympathy! Some ideas that I didn't see mentioned but you might have tried...

When the engine dies I'm assuming it won't restart, hence the tow truck? Next time it happens turn on the ignition and listen, does the fuel pump run for a few seconds and then stop (like it should). If it does run, can you hear the fuel going back into the tank via the return hose. If yes, then the fuel system appears to be working, if not investigate. Next thing I would remove a spark plug, crank it over and see if there's a spark, if there is fine, if not then there's a clue. If possible I would whip out an injector, connect it up and see if it sprays fuel whilst cranking over. I would meticulously check the connector plug and socket for the ECU - there might be a slightly bent or corroded pin or connector - there's lots of them so worth doing, also make sure the connector is latched closed by the sprung tab. Can you borrow an ECU off anyone and try it with that ? there might be a dry joint/dodgy capacitor etc within the ECU.

Dave

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:35 pm

I had the same problem when I first got mine on the road. It was the fuel filter. I had mounted an inline metal bodied fuel filter after the tank and before the fuel pump. There must have been some junk in the tank. I ended up installing a plastic transparent filter instead so I could see if it was dirty. After replacing the filter it hasn't had a problem since.

Sounds like you replaced the filters but might be worth checking again. I once installed an inline filter backwards on a bike and it plugged up within 10 miles of riding. They are directional. Like others have mentioned, does fuel flow back to the tank? On my Triking I noticed the fuel pump sounded different. It was starving for fuel and the return line did not have fuel going back to the tank. Once the new filter was installed, all good.

Good luck, super frustrating to diagnose intermittent issues, especially when they leave you stranded.

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:56 am

More from Moto Guzzi Club UK Facebook page:
Steve Robins
I had a similar issue with my Magni (..Daytona engine, fuel injection & electrics). I checked everything you've checked and everything else mentioned here. However, none of these things proved to be the cause. I discovered (eventually..!) that one of the fuses feeding the pump/injector relays beneath the bike's seat had cracked and was occasionally interrupting the circuit. It could happen five minutes into a ride, an hour into a ride and sometimes not at all. The fuses all looked fine to the naked eye; none had melted or blown. Here's a picture of the culprit:
Attachments
rsz_broken_fuse.jpg

Richard and Pat

Post by Richard and Pat » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:58 am

And another:
Flash Harris-Searle
You could change the relay on the fuel pump. My quota used to be like that. Three or four miles down the road, engine would die. Roll to side of road and pull the relay out and put it back and off we would go again.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:52 pm

I have been through the majority of the suggestions but up to date no success. As regards air in tank I have a new cap as supplied by Triking and new tank. I made sure that tank was very clean before installation. When the trike stalls it starts immediately I try again. Today I took out injectors and cleaned them. I have now ordered a CPS to start finding the fault. I am not very technical but my mechanic and myself have been through everything. Last Saturday we tried it in the garage trying to diagnose the fault with computer and nothing resulted wrong. However when I tried it on the road the same symptom occurred. Now I wait for the part and see after that. Will keep you posted